No announcement yet.

Want to control dedicated server remotely via ftp

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to control dedicated server remotely via ftp

there is a guy who did it, and he just won't tell me how he did it, just because he is ab idiot other reason.
    im using windows 7 and the server has windows server 2003
    anyway what he did is that:
    lets say i have dedicated server and the ip is for example:
    everybody have administative permissions and all works good.
    now many times im downloading huge files. sizes like 10-15 gb's each.
    and to download them to my computer what im doing is uploading to a server, or direct admin that i own, and then downloading it to my computer via direct link, which not always supply maximum speed.
    so what the guy did is made the dedicated server as ftp.
    so lets say i have client such as flash fxp or cute ftp or whatever, and the dedicated server was
    and the user lets say is root and password is blabla
    so he connect to the server trough the client this way:
    ftp : / / administrator : blabla @
    (without the spaces, can post links)
    and by this way he can see all the hard drive and download and upload whatever he fill without doing what i do (after downloaded files, uploading to some kind of server, and then downloading the files from the server to my computer).
    and this way he has profit of maximum download speed since the dedicated server has high bandwidth (100mb upload\download) and unlike me, he is not depended on the bandwidth of the server that he uploaded the files to. so most of times its going pretty quick, im uploading to the server and then copy\pasting the link to my download manager and its flowing, but now for example, im getting only 40% of the download speed im able to have, additionally, im filling kinda stupid working twice while i can do it in 1 time, which means after i downloaded file via dedicated server, i will connect to the dedicated server from the ftp client and will have access to all of its hard drive. the reason im not downloading from my computer in 1st place is because i have some kinda problem with my ISP so i get crappy speed of just 40-50kb per sec for some reason. and from the dedicated server its get his maximum speed
    i tried the regular user\pass but it wouldn't work.
    via sftp its also doesn't work,
    thanks in advanced.

Re: Want to control dedicated server remotely via ftp

Or use somthing like FileZilla server.

There are literally hundreds of FTP servers out there from free to paid versions.

A bit tough to follow, but what you're saying is this:

He wants to download a big file, so he connects to a remote server. That remote server has a higher bandwidth than he does at home. He has the remote server download the files from the 3rd party, and then later he downloads them from the remote server.

You're still limited by your ISP's speed when you download it from the remote server, so you're not saving any time here. Why do you want to do this? It's only useful in specific corporate situations.

Also: You're not controlling the server by FTP. That's not possible. You're just wanting to add items to the the FTP client's download queue on said server.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **