Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Domain Controller

Hello

We are runnign windows server 2003 SP2, I created a New Server on the domain then ran DCpromo to promte to a backup controller, Which all worked. On saturday morning out DC Died I thought the backup controller would kick in? I could not logon to the domain looking at the logs on the backup controller I got this.

vent Type: Warning
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5781
    Date: 16/04/2011
    Time: 08:35:54
    User: N/A
    Computer: ServerBackup
    Description:namic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'Domain.local.' failed.
    These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller
    (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).
    Possible causes of failure include:
    - TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es)
    of the preferred and alternate DNS servers
    - Specified preferred and alternate DNS servers are not running
    - DNS server(s) primary for the records to be registered is not running
    - Preferred or alternate DNS servers are configured with wrong root hints

- Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative
    for the DNS records that failed registration
    USER ACTION
    Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or
    deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command

Re: Backup Domain Controller

Was the Seconadary DC a Global Catalog? This option is not enabled automatically when you DCPromo a second DC.
    Did you setup a second DNS on the Secondary DC or was it replicated from the Main DC?
    Did you have a split DHCP and if yes, did you have the Secondary DC's DNS configure into the split DHCP Scope as an alternative option?
    What FSMO Roles were on the Secondary DC? Have you Seized the FSMO Roles or are you intending to get the Main DC backup and running ASAP?
    What does an IPCONFIG /ALL from a client machine reveal?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello

Wow, I missed off a lot of steps. How can you tell if the second dc is a global catalogue? On the admin tools DNS and dchp have not been installed do I need to install these options from the server wizard? At the moment I have domain controller configured as yes

Ipconfig ip 192.168.1.27
      default gateway 192.168.1.1
      dns server 192.168.1.35 our DC

We our domain controller goes down i wanted the second dc to kick in so users can log into the domain

I ran DCpromo added a second domain

Comment

Hi,
        First of all, starting with Win2k there are no more BDC. All DCs in the domain hold a writable copy of AD database. However, there are roles (FSMO) that are reserved to single DCs.
        From my point of view, your issue is related to network configuration.
        The dns setting of you second DC points to 192.168.1.35 however this server died.
        I suggest to use the local server as the primary DNS server (I hope that it holds this role The second address can be the IP of other DNS servers from the domain. Restart the Netlogon service or the hole server.

Br,
        Csaba
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Hi,

Ok, I install DNS on the second domain controller on 192.168.1.27 then follow the steps then point 192.168.1.27 to dns then 192.168.1.35 as secondary DNS

If i screw up can this be unistalled on the secondary domain controller?

How can i tell its got the fsmo roles?

Comment

The easiest way to find out the FSMO role holders is running the
            netdom query fsmo
            on your DC.
            FSMO roles can be transferred using Administrative tools.
            http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

Br,
            Csaba
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

If the main DC is still down then you will need to Seize the FMSO Roles since there is nothing available to transfer them from.

When I stop crashing I will try and remember to post an image where you can find the GC enable option. Alternatively you could search these Forums as it has been posted a couple of times.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

GC in Sites and Services -- expand to server...ntds settings...properties and it is a tick box
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X