Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client cannot connect to server??

Hello,
    Basically I have an on going problem with my server and my client computers.
    My server is running server 2003 and is connected to my netgear router wirelessly.

I had problems with the server not responding to pings and not being able to be connected to for exchange or Remote desktop, but then I moved the wireless adapter higher up and it seemed to connect fine then.

I have been using it for over a week working fine connecting when I want it to. I then decided to change the 'Amount of password remembered in the history' in the domain security policy from 24 to 0 ( the computer doesnt remember passwords)

I then lost connection to the server (i was doing it over Remote Desktop) so I decided to reboot the server.. did this it reloaded I logged back on it checked DNS was running and that it was connected to the network - it was.

But now the client cannot connect to it again?

Ping response is - Destination Host Unreachable

any ideas?

Ryan.
    Last edited by rjn239; 6th April 2011, 17:30.

Re: Client cannot connect to server??

How are you pinging it - by name or by IP? If by name, try the IP.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

A Server should NOT be using a wireless connection.

wireless is NOT an enterprise grade network connection, and is not reliable.

Sorry. I like my wifi as much as the next, but I would never even IMAGINE puttin ga server on a wifi network.

Let alone the security of it - they'vbe even proven you could crack WPA2, using Amazon's EC2 within a day
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Ping 127.0.0.1 , dose that work?
        Ping Default Gateway, does that work?
        Ping google.com , does that work?

Since you are using a wireless connection, try changing Channels on the Wireless Router. Your signal may be getting drowned by a neighbour with a strong signal on the same channel.

Post and IPCONFIG /ALL
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          A Server should NOT be using a wireless connection.

wireless is NOT an enterprise grade network connection, and is not reliable.

Sorry. I like my wifi as much as the next, but I would never even IMAGINE puttin ga server on a wifi network.

Let alone the security of it - they'vbe even proven you could crack WPA2, using Amazon's EC2 within a day
          Yeah I know it's not the best method of hosting a server, but to be honest it's not a company server and if it gets hacked it gets hacked I only use it for my exchange mailbox and so everyone can use each computer - although I do appreciate what you say and have got cable on order!

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Ping 127.0.0.1 , dose that work?
          Ping Default Gateway, does that work?
          Ping google.com , does that work?

Since you are using a wireless connection, try changing Channels on the Wireless Router. Your signal may be getting drowned by a neighbour with a strong signal on the same channel.

Post and IPCONFIG /ALL
          Thanks for the advice, I changed the router channel on the off-chance and this allowed an immediate connection to be established, so it must be somebody else hosting on the same frequency!

Thanks for all replies this can be marked as solved and rep has been left

Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by rjn239
            changed the router channel on the off-chance and this allowed an immediate connection
            Yeah Baby!!

You can check who around you is using which channels by using Netstumbler or if you have Vista ( ) or Win 7, Vistastumbler (Google them).
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X