Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Print spooler freezes and needs to be restarted after installing new printer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print spooler freezes and needs to be restarted after installing new printer.

I'm trying to setup an HP2600N printer on our Win2K3 R2 SP2 print server and all of a sudden, when we print to the printer, it seems to freeze the Print Spooler on the server. There are no errors in the Event Viewer and the only way you can tell there is a problem is when the HP2600 printers start building up jobs in there Q's.

I have re-created the printer and created copies of it and all the 2600N printers will no longer print.

The only solution is to restart the Print Spooler service which causes the print jobs to finally be printed. The next time someone prints to the 2600N printers the jobs Q up again and I have to restart the print spooler. The other printers are printing OK!

I have a feeling it may be printer processor related but I am unsure as to how to fix this. The Print Processor is set to WinPrint RAW. The driver is the latest HP driver from their site.

I am able to manually cancel jobs in the frozen Qs. While the Q is frozen, I can log onto the printers internal admin page using MSIE and it prints OK.

Can anyone suggest something I can try to fix this? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Print spooler freezes and needs to be restarted after installing new printer.

Are there any other printers on the server other than this HP one??? Are these printers affected by the problem if there are???

Can you print successfully from the server to the printer rather than using a client???

We had one HP plotter only a couple of weeks age that would drop offline and not print and it turned out to be a JetDirect card issue.

Comment

Re: Print spooler freezes and needs to be restarted after installing new printer.

I believe this to be a driver issue. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the site which details the appropriate driver version. Have a search on HP for a file hp_CLJ_2600n_Full_Solution_USA - West Europe.exe

It seemed to do the trick for me. If you are lucky these printers will break down real soon and the part that fails costs more to fix than the purchase of a new printer. Shame really as HP used to have quality devices.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I agree with wullieb1 about the JetDirect card, or the internal board-mounted network port. In IE, navigate to the IP address on the card, have a nosy around the network settings. If all works as advertised, then try going to 'settings' or other areas. The network settings only deal with the JetDirect itself. Any other settings are for the printer-specific stuff (page sizes, paper tray behavior, etc.) and are down to the printer controller/formatter board. If the 2 pieces can't talk to each other without freezing, nothing will work right.

We've had 2 different model HP printers on our network fail in just this way in the last month. Both were through EIO Ports with JetDirect 620N cards in them.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Your post suggests that you are adding a single printer of this model to an environment where you already have at least one other printer of this model already in place, and that these existing printers used to work fine until you added the additional one.

If that is the case, my first guess would be that you updated the driver for that model of printer during the installation and the new version has a bug.

What did HP support say when you asked them?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is a known problem with some of the drivers for this model like Biggles said. I've had this issue in the past and had to get another driver from HP support after unsuccessfully trying all the ones published on the HP site back then.
            They might have updated it now so might be worth it checking again for different driver models ( pcl 6, ps etc)
            Last edited by L4ndy; 7th April 2011, 23:17.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

HP will probably say what HP always say when you ring them:

"have you updated the firmware ?"

I rang for a failed power supply the other morning, and I'm surprised she didn't ask me that.
              my reply would have been very unprofessional..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X