"downgrading" a w2kadv to w2k standard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "downgrading" a w2kadv to w2k standard

We have by misstake installed Win2k adv server on two of our servers and need to "downgrade" them to Win2k standard server.

Server 1: SQL 2000. Installed on C:drive with db and logfiles on other drives.
    Server 2: File server with lots of local groups, these groups are then applied on NTFS permission on D:drive.

Any tip on how to avoid having to redo the entier group/NTFS permissions would help here.

Thanks,

Magnus Elgebrandt
    [email protected]
    MCSE

Re: "downgrading" a w2kadv to w2k standard

Sorry mate, dont think it can be done
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Nope cannot be done. Your outta luck
      gaaq

Comment

This is obviously not something you do every day, but did you try it? Put the W2000 Standard CD in a _running_ system, and see what it says? I never tried it, but who knows...

Comment

No, you get an error that adv server is not upgradeble server and then only fresh install is possible.

Any ideas what way to go with the other problem? (Local groups getting new SIDs.)

Comment

> Any ideas what way to go with the other problem? (Local groups getting new SIDs.)

A re-acl is the only way. Check out subinacl (download from MS) for that. Not an easy tool, but quite powerful.

Comment

No can' t say it looks easy. Do I need to run the tool before I reinstall the server or can do it replace a unknowed Sid with a new group?

Comment

Gotta know how this winds up keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by flarne
                  No can' t say it looks easy. Do I need to run the tool before I reinstall the server or can do it replace a unknowed Sid with a new group?
                  Let my help you get started then.

- First, you use subinacl to dump the permissions of the entire file tree.
                  - then, global-search-and-replace the old server name with the new in the dumpfile.
                  - Also, record all local groups on the old server.
                  - Then, recreate the local groups _exactly_ on the new server.
                  - backup the file tree on the old server
                  - restore the file tree on the new server; take ownership if you need to
                  - replay the dump file.

Not trivial, as I said. But been there, done that: it works. If this is too scary, there are a number of 3rd party tools out there (Quest, probably) that can help you out here.

Comment

Working...
                  X