ntbackup problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ntbackup problem

So I have a server under Windows Server 2003, and 20 work stations under win xp pro. on the server I have two hard, one with Windows and the second hard disk with data. the users have mapped this hard with data. I designed the windows with a daily ntbackup incremental backups, but when i restore data, there are not files, there are only folders. Can someone tell why this is happening? Then I constructed a daily incremental backup and weekend normal backup, and for these two jobs are in Task Scheduler there are two tasks and one file BFK in which are stored the normal and incremental backup. andybody tell me how to configure ntbackup for daily incremental back and that there are no empty folders and a weekly normal backup?
    thanks

Re: ntbackup problem

Have you reviewed the backup logs?
    Basically, create two scheduled tasks in NTBackup, one for the incrementals (btw, differential is better, IMHO) and one for full. Check the file sizes for each and do test restores to make sure all is OK, recreating the tasks if problems.

What are you backing up TO?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i backup just word and excel files.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Have you reviewed the backup logs?
      Basically, create two scheduled tasks in NTBackup, one for the incrementals (btw, differential is better, IMHO) and one for full. Check the file sizes for each and do test restores to make sure all is OK, recreating the tasks if problems.

What are you backing up TO?

Comment

How do you backup only Word and Excel files -- explain the process you are using as probably something has gone wrong with this

2nd attempt, what are you backing up TO?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i will show process of backup in pictures which i attached. the pictures show make backup for normal backup, the same process i used for incremental backup. i used the one file 'data 21022011' for normal and incremental backup. this replay have 5 images, the next replay have 5 pictures
          Attached Files

Comment

the next 5 pictures
            Attached Files

Comment

the next 2 pictures
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok, you are backing up to F drive.
                Where is F drive, on the Server?
                What is F drive? An internal or external HDD?
                Do you have a drive rotation or do you use the same HDD (or tape)?
                How much data do you need to backup?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is probably really simple.

You have selected to backup "Everyone's Document and Settings" Folders.

Based on your initial post I am assuming this is not a Terminal Server and just a File Server. If this is true then the files will not be in the "Documents and Settings" folder structure.

If you have a share setup (Perhaps D:\Data or something similiar) just backup that folder and call it a day.

----

The Document's and Settings option is intended for actual logged in accounts and not file shares (c:\Documents and Settings).

Hobie

Comment

Working...
                  X