No announcement yet.

File replication between server 2003 and 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File replication between server 2003 and 2008

Hello everyone,

we have an old server 2003 , and about 2TB of data.

we purchased 2 new servers, that will be used as file-server and DC.

what would be the easyest way, to move all the data to the file-server ?

i thought of Microsoft File Migration tool, but i remember some permission problems and such.

my question is - is it possible to setup a file replication (DFS ?) between server 2003 and 2008, and make it for an existing shares ?

is there a better way ?

Re: File replication between server 2003 and 2008

Yes it is possible (May be the older version unless you are on 2003R2)
    Alternatively what about one of the better copy programs (RoboCopy or XCopy) which retain permissions.

IMHO, though, treat this as an opportunity to declutter and reorganise your data, so put some thoughts into the process and move some stuff manually.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Personally I'm a big fan of the FSMT, I've never had any issues with it and I usually use it over robocopy for doing SBS migrations and the like.

I agree with Ossian though, always a good time to clear up prior to a move to a new server.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

I've used robocopy for this without problems, but FSMT may be easier for some environments.

Just an FYI on DFS though. Connecting DFS between 2003 and 2008 can be done, but requires a little tweaking. 2008 R2 drops support for FRS replication (except for Sysvol) and therefore requires at least 2003 R2 for DFS compatibility.