Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out of 2003 Server?

Hi All,

Had to change my domain admins password the other day as found out some users had got hold of it and were logging in as it(!!!). Anyway, I dont have any services relying on it so I went ahead and changed it and then logged onto each of my servers to make sure it went on OK etc, all good.

But, I forgot I had a TS session to my Exchange server open so when I tried to login to that I now get:-

The requested operation cannot be completed because the terminal connection is currently busy processing a connect operation

No biggy I thought, just logoff/reset the TS session as I've had this on servers before, but its wont work. Cant logoff/reset it from a TS manager, cant logon at the console as the domain admin or another admin user, or the local admin account? I've looked for any processes assigned to the now disconnected account, but nothing I can think of that could be blocking it that I could pskill.

All the articles I find say just hard reset it, but its my exchange server and although I can stop the services remotely I'm a little concerned thats all. Any advice?

Thanks,

Andy
    Last edited by AndyR; 24th February 2011, 02:57.

Re: Locked out of 2003 Server?

have you tried a remote shutdown: shutdown -r -m <machine name>
    Failing that, you will have to bite the bullet (or pull the plug ) and hard reboot it, then do a lot of testing!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No tried a remote shutdown yet as I can't do it during the week, so would have to wait till the weekend anyway.

Was kinda hoping to get the TS session killed to get back into the server that way. Darn.

No worries, thanks for your help, will try stopping the exchange services remotely at the weekend then remote shutdown/hard reboot and pray!

Comment

Can't you restart the Terminal Services service???

You should be able to do this using a remote computer management session

Comment

Log on to any server, Terminal Services Manager, click on the remote server, right click, log off.

Should do it.

Comment

Haven't tried restarting TS yet, as did this once before on a server and it caused BSOD and I cant afford to risk this as is it my exchange server.

First thing I did was the TS Manager but log off / reset doesn't do anything

Comment

Hi,

Do you have iLo connection to the server? or something similar to it .. otherwise you are running out of options.
              Thanks & Regards
              v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
              Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
              Independent IT Consultant and Architect
              Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
                Hi,

Do you have iLo connection to the server? or something similar to it .. otherwise you are running out of options.
                Yep I have an iLO but only gets me console access, which I can get to anyway as the server is physically in the same building, but trying to log onto the console gives me the same error.

Think i'm just going to have to stop the Exchange services and then hard reboot the server. Urgh....

Comment

Just to complete these thread, issue is all sorted now.

Ended up doing a remote shutdown - shutdown -r -m \\servername

This half worked in that the machine started to shutdown and exchange stopped cleanly, but it then ended up hanging before the reboot so i was just left with a blank screen. Had to then do a power reset via ILO before it completed the reboot and came up cleanly.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Did you check the Event Viewer logs to make sure it actually did a clean reboot or are you just surmising that it was clean because everything apears to be working?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      Did you check the Event Viewer logs to make sure it actually did a clean reboot or are you just surmising that it was clean because everything apears to be working?
                      Yep checked the event log after the reboot as I normally would. No errors at all came up, everything looked clean both on the shutdown and startup side.

After issuing the remote shutdown command I could see in the logs the exchange services etc stopping cleaning. Then all the other usual services stopped and at the point where the server would then normally reboot it stopped and hung there. I waiting about 15-20mins before doing the power reset and then it came back up. Didn't record any errors on the shutdown and all the event logs were clean when it came back up and all services fired up as normal.

Comment

Working...
                      X