No announcement yet.

windows 2000 dhcp- domain controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2000 dhcp- domain controller

i am joining a new windows 2000 server(dmn2) to my existing domain controller which is windows 2000 (dmn1), now after i setup this machine as Additional domain controller and let the replication and all happen, then install dns on it, and also dhcp but (deactivate it) and i want to know what should be done next if my "dmn1" fails ??? i already have the this ADC running, and my dhcp is deactivated, then i should active my dhcp and then ??? i am stuck here.. can any body tell me what next has to be done.. dcpromo or what ever..

Re: windows 2000 dhcp- domain controller

I would install DNS before you promote it to an ADC otherwise it can cause annoying problems.

You want to ensure dmn2 is also a global catalogue:

You then want to set-up DHCP on both servers. just say you want to reserve x.x.x.50 to x.x.x.200 as DHCP leases. You set-up both scopes to be x.x.x.50 - x.x.x.200 then on dmn1 set-up an exclusion range of x.x.x.125 - x.x.x.200 and then on dmn2 set-up an exclusion range of x.x.x.50 - x.x.x.124. This stops both servers from giving out each other's leases.

You need to ensure you have also set-up each DHCP servers options such as DNS servers and default gateways. You can then go about migrating the DHCP leases from the old box to the new box / boxes:

Hope this helps.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: windows 2000 dhcp- domain controller

hey there
      I agree with Michael you should Install DNS first but in the creation of the new DC it should prompt you to create DNS . Also do not forget to authorize the DHCP server as well. so that AD does not recognize it as a rogue DHCP server.