Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to extend c drive on windows server 2003 VM

Hi all,

In my VM test lab enviournment I am trying to extend c drive on a windows server 2003 machine. Disk management.jpg shows the setup on my 2003 VM. Cmd.jpg shows the commands that I used to expand the drive. I followed Petriís link

http://www.petri.com/extend-disk-par...theme=&accent=

However for some reason I am not able to extend the partition. Can you all guide me what I am doing incorrectly.
    Attached Files

Re: Not able to extend c drive on windows server 2003 VM

Your disks are configured as Basic and not dynamic, the fact its a VM does not really matter. You cant covert the disks to dynamic now unless you want to lose everything.
    You will have to use partion magic, or something similar to get round this now.
    But for future at the very start of building a server I always conver the disks to dynamic.

Comment

thanks for your reply

I think there is a misunderstanding .... If you convert your disks from basic to dynamic you loose nothing but vice versa you loose everything ... According to petri's link we can use diskpart util and increase disk size .... I am not interested in third party tools ...

The article explains everything but for some reason I am not able to expand it ....

Comment

You can only increase disk size if you have some space ON THE DRIVE to increase it into, but according to your second image, you have no space.

Probably you will need to do it in the VMWare host
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom, I am little confused, acc to the second image disk 0 has 75% free space and disk 1 has 99% free space. I was looking to merge free space on disk 1 to disk 0.

Comment

You misunderstand me
            It is any unallocated space on the drive, not free space in the partition.
            If you make the drives dynamic, you can reduce the size of the volumes (they stop being partitions) to the limit of the free space and create a spanned volume covering free (unallocated) space on the drives.
            However, if you do this and a drive fails or is removed, you will lose the whole spanned volume.

Can you confirm this is a virtual machine? If so, your best bet would be to see if you can increase the size of the drive (using the VM management tools on the host) and gain space that way.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have a read at this and it will outline some reasons why you can't use diskpart to extend a volume.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

Comment

Working...
              X