NTFS advance permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS advance permission

I have a shared folder, in which there are couples of subfolders and files, everyone has full control at share level,

I want users to create new files in that folder and subfolder but do not want them to change existing files, how can I do it?

So if they open existing files they should be able to save as new file name but should not be able to make changes to the existing files,

Thanks,

Re: NTFS advance permission

Hi,

Try giving the following permission (first check on one file). I would suggest create a group and apply permission on the group and the make user member of that group to test instead of givin it directly to the user.

write
    read and execute
    read

Advanced/select user/edit
    uncheck CreateFolder/AppendData
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Hi v-2nas,

Thanks for the responce, I tried your suggestions, but it gave me error when I tried to "save as" new file name,

"Cannot save file, folder is marked as read only"

When I uncheck CreateFolder/AppendData from group, It clears write permission from the folder.

There should be a way to do this? this is kind of common requirement,

Thanks,

Comment

Hi,

I assume your users are in active directory domain.

I want users to create new files in that folder and subfolder but do not want them to change existing files, how can I do it?

Does this means that user cann't even change the files they created or in most situations it's user shudn't be able to modify other users profile.
        Can you clarify more on your requirements.

At least i haven't seen the setup where users are not allowed to modify there own files. In case if there are existing files then on those particular files write permission has been taken off other wise it's not possible.

To understand this take an example of folder where inheritance is taken off. user has write permission , there are files under the folder which are inheriting the permissions so user will also have permission on these files to write to them. I have permformed the test with only write permission user is able to modify the content of a file Now with your set of requirements you need to take out write permission on files which you want user not to modify.

Meanwhile you can check about special permissions.
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

I think that you will need to remove inheritance, and keep the full control attribute for your authenticated users at the folder level. Next, select the files that should be modified and set the read-only permission. Those existing files will remain intact while new files will be able to be created and later modified.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X