No announcement yet.

Product Activation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Activation

Does anyone you have any further information on product activation? I'm sat with a client trying to activate an SBS 2003 standard edition and after about half a dozen attempts including speaking with CSR's at Microsoft, still no joy. We've ended up receiving a free support incident from Microsoft because the process patently doesn't work (certainly not in this instance anyway). Has anyone else had a similar experience to this. Does this point to the fact "Product Activation" has patently failed to protect Microsoft from pirates and has scuppered many a legitimate business from achieving there goals using Microsoft software? I am hearing the mantra "We are considering Linux" more and more even from hardcore MSDN people who are long standing users of the Microsoft product sets. Are there any indications that Microsoft will consider changing this process in Longhorn and making it more flexible for genuine customers even in giving there own CSRs the discretion to override the Product Activation process? The process seems to assume that everyone hacks software and doesn't pay for it yet I think all of my clients are aware of the need to properly license products. Shouldn't Microsoft liaising with international law enforcement to crack down on the production lines which are producing fake copies of Microsoft software complete with hacks to get around the activation process?

If your customers have select licence agreements with MS then use the select CD's.

The systems once loaded don't require any activation. As they use a select licence agreement key.

It's only off the shelf / OEM pre-build and OEM CD's that require activation.

But I do agree, that the whole licencing issue with MS is a minefield!

If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Brad Bentley

Still had no bad experience with SBS2003, but have been in the same situation twice with TS activation (application mode).

It looks like Microsoft decided to give a really hard time to IT folks...
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

I second you on the TS crap. Had it happen on one of my 700-users network, and I will swear on my dead cat's grave that I've already activated all my TS servers less than a month ago...

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Want to hear something funny ?

Once I needed to reset the TS licence pool as the network moved from a pilot to a production and many computers from the pilot were reimaged, but yet the licenses had already been issued and were in a "stale" mode.

Also I had to add licences that had been purchased for production.

I deactivated the old pool, called MS and tried to reactivate it using the new key from MS. No luck... The newly purchased licenses got installed nice and dandy, but the original pool was going bollocks. After spending half an hour on the phone with MS folks, they issued a combined license for both pools and it worked.
            Guess what happened when the combined pool was active and running ? The first pool that refused to get activated started working , making me the proud owner of more licences than were actually purchased
            Of course, I deactivated it, but that experience made me very sceptic about the folks that wrote the activation code...

Damn... sometimes something that should be exact sience turns into a black magic...
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"