Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller

i have a domain controller named "dmn1" and now i am adding a new server named "dmn2", i am planning to install 2000 server on it then dcpromo, and make it an additional domain controller, then then replicate the active directory,etc

now my question is

if my "dmn1" server goes down, will the "dmn2" will automatically resume its job as the domain controller ?

and -------------

Other thing is i have DNS, DHCP,Active Directory and exchange 5.5 on the same server "Dmn1" do you suggest me a different setup ? what should i do ?

Re: Domain Controller

You need to ensure dmn2 is also a global catalogue.

I would personally have dmn1 and dmn2 set-up both with AD, DHCP (scopes on both servers), DNS and Global Catalogue and then install exchange 5.5 / 2000 / 2003 on a new member server.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

if my "dmn1" server goes down, will the "dmn2" will automatically resume its job as the domain controller ?
      it will not automatically resume its job as Domain Controller , you have to promote it to act as Domain Controller

Comment

Originally posted by hemantgiri
        Hi,

it will not automatically resume its job as Domain Controller , you have to promote it to act as Domain Controller
        He did say he was going to promoto it

"i am planning to install 2000 server on it then dcpromo"

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You will need to ensure that you have DNS installed, configured correctly and replicating with your other DC.

Ensure you have a DHCP scope configured with some sort of split, or just do't activate it until your other machine falls over. Set your DHCP options to add the second server as a secondary DNS server.

Add the second DNS server as a secondary server on your main machine and the main machine as a secondary server on the second machine.

Ensure that AD replication is occuring and is successful.

Make sure that you make the second machine is also a Global Catalogue (GC)

Make yourself aware of seizing FSMO roles on the new machine, this is especially handy if your main DC needs a rebuild.

There are probably a few more things you wil need to do but i can't think of any off hand.

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            You need to ensure dmn2 is also a global catalogue.

I would personally have dmn1 and dmn2 set-up both with AD, DHCP (scopes on both servers), DNS and Global Catalogue and then install exchange 5.5 / 2000 / 2003 on a new member server.

Hope this helps

Michael

hello, I also have this kind of set-up, so still i have to configure the DNS and DHCP of the additional DC, my question is when i added a DNS and DHCP on the additional DC, do I have to configure the first DC to add the DNS of a second server.

Im planning this set-up because our company is planning to move to a new location, and what i have in mind is to replicate the primary DC, then move to a new location so its like still having the same set-up is this advisable or is there a better way to do it. thanks

Comment

Working...
            X