2003 server running out of space/RAID etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 server running out of space/RAID etc

Hi Petri forum! I've looked around but can't seem to find anything on this so am taking a chance here in asking.
    We have a 2003 server that was built/configured by Dell. The drive is 500GB. C:\ has the OS and programs and D:\ stores the Data.. There's lots of room on the drive but on C:\ we're down to 1GB. I've been juggling this, being cautious about installs etc but am concerned about running out of space and want to use something like PM or any tool that will re size the drive but I'm confused because there are 4 hard drives that are detected in Windows as one drive so I'm thinking it wasn't configured as RAID 1 but maybe something else- so if I resize using one of the popular tools out there, will this work on a RAID configuration and what are the risks? Is it possible to tell the RAID config from within server 2003? I welcome any recommendations. Thank you

Re: 2003 server running out of space/RAID etc

The main issue will be the "popular tool" seeing the RAID controller. If it does, I would not expect any problems.

You might be safer doing a full backup of all volumes, rebuild the array and then restoring -- you should do the backup so you can do this if the resizing goes wrong

To check the RAID config, reboot your server and go into the RAID controller unless you have the Dell management tools installed, which should allow you to see it.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you, will give this a try!

Comment

Hi,

Additional option that i can suggest would be use mount points. This will be the folders on C drive but data would be saved on secondary drive (need to add/ can try with network location) Again free disk availability would depend upon which data you would need to move.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Knowing the size of the C partition would help (guess the huge Dell 8GB one) and what is installed on it.
          Have the temp folders been cleared?
          Have the compressed $updatefiles$ been deleted?
          Is the Page File still on C:"?
          Any files stored on the C: (like in the Administrator profile)

Lots of info lacking.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yep - like biggles said, you may be able to free up some space. although you'd still be post-ponying the inevitable
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I like the mount point option. I never thought of this option. I have run into the same issue with my dell server where they only have 12GB on the OS partition. it will eat up all my space after awhile.

The safest way I have been doing this is.
              1. buy 2 bigger hard drive (70GB or 140GB).
              2. do a full back up on the current OS drive and application drive(they both on Raid 1)
              3. pop the old hard drive out (leave it untouch, just incase my plan failed then I pop the orginal drive in and Im back in biz)
              4. Pop 2 new drive in, and rebuilt the RAID one to take advantage the new size.
              5. restore the image to the new drive.

This whole process usually took me about 2hrs(max). I love Symantec Backup System Recovery. I think this is one of the best software I ever owned.

HN.

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
              Hi,

Additional option that i can suggest would be use mount points. This will be the folders on C drive but data would be saved on secondary drive (need to add/ can try with network location) Again free disk availability would depend upon which data you would need to move.

Comment

Originally posted by desert_penguin View Post
                Hi Petri forum! I've looked around but can't seem to find anything on this so am taking a chance here in asking.
                We have a 2003 server that was built/configured by Dell. The drive is 500GB. C:\ has the OS and programs and D:\ stores the Data.. There's lots of room on the drive but on C:\ we're down to 1GB. I've been juggling this, being cautious about installs etc but am concerned about running out of space and want to use something like PM or any tool that will re size the drive but I'm confused because there are 4 hard drives that are detected in Windows as one drive so I'm thinking it wasn't configured as RAID 1 but maybe something else- so if I resize using one of the popular tools out there, will this work on a RAID configuration and what are the risks? Is it possible to tell the RAID config from within server 2003? I welcome any recommendations. Thank you
                Hi,
                if the RAID you mean here is not dynamic disk, i recommend you one tool to extend RAID easilyy, it is easeus partition master server, I hope it can help u, good luck

Comment

Working...
                X