Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on building an AD domain for CCTV surveillance system

Hello.

I have found myself in a situation where I've become the designer and administrator of PC based CCTV systems for a small start-up company. We have six clients so far that we lease these systems to. The clients don't use anything on the systems except the CCTV software. We maintain the computers and cameras for them. The computers are on the Internet so that the clients can view live and recorded video from home. I've been using VNC to administer the computers since the beginning, but as time goes on I really wish I had a different structure than what I have now. On top of that It looks like my little company will be getting more clients real soon, maybe a lot more. And I need to have a more efficient way to keep track of all my machines. Not to mention a more secure environment for all the machines to operate in. I've been building and helping people with computers for years, but I find anything beyond simple WORKGOUP networking to be way over my head . I really have no clue on where to start. Here is the basic setup and what it is I would like to be able to do.

Each location has 2 computers, 1 server and 1 client. Both with XP PRO. The server uses surveillance software that uses .NET and MS SQL for its database, and IIS for the web service. The client just uses .NET for the softwares network client and thats it. I use WROKGROUP Networking for them to communicate. The system as it is works well, but I would like to do things that I can't do now like map network shares on on my home or office computers to use the same network client software to make adjustments and such. The network client will work over the Internet in a Windows domain. It might work with a VPN connection but I haven't tried it yet, and I need to have multiple connections to each server and as far as I know XP will only support one at a time. Also I would like to be able to make group policy settings the same across all of my computers at one time instead of having to do it on each system individually. And at some point down the the road I'd like to be able to have a single secure web site that my customers could log onto and view there locations cameras instead of them having to remember an IP address.

Anyway, thats what I'd like to be able to do. It doesn't sound like a lot to me, and it seems that an AD domain would do what I want, but I just can't figure out where to start. I was hopping that some nice person here could suggest for me a place to start reading, weather it be a web site or a book or both. I have googled my head clean off my shoulders and I have of course searched this sight and many others, but it seems that who ever is writing about 2003, AD or DC's is starting at a point that's over my head, and I find it very easy to get lost. I am more that happy to RTFM. I would just like to know the right manual for a novice such as myself.

I Thank you all very much for any help you can give.

PÜSHER

Re: Need advice on building an AD domain for CCTV surveillance system

I think you need to fill the knowledge GAP first. AD is not as simple as it appears. I can recommend Mark Minasi's book "Mastering Server 2003".

Before you start: in order to use AD you need one IP infrastructure without NAT. In other words, you need a VPN to all customer sites. If you don't have that or can create it, forget AD.

If you don't follow the above, start reading Mark's book

Comment

wkasdo,

Thanks for fast reply,

WOW, 1 IP without NAT, that kinda spoils everything. I knew AD wasn't simple, but it's pretty simple now, I won't be using it. Anyway can you tell me is it still possible to do the all things that I want? Can Marks book help me with building a solid VPN setup? I really want those network shares.

Thanks again

PÜSHER

Comment

> WOW, 1 IP without NAT,

Again, that's solvable with a VPN that creates a virtual IP space. Many people do it that way.

> Can Marks book help me with building a solid VPN setup?

I think it has some basic concepts.

Comment

OK, I see what you're saying. I'll start reading tonight. Is there anything else I could be reading to get me on the right track? Thanks again wkasdo.

PÜSHER

Comment

Working...
          X