NTBACKUP.exe Fails on Server 2003 after service pack 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBACKUP.exe Fails on Server 2003 after service pack 1

Dual Xeon / full intel system server, scsi raid 5, 2 GB RAM running windows 2003 server standard. Service pack one applied and all subsequent updates. Prior to spk 1 the system ran a scheduled daily backup using ntbackup.exe on a seagate scorpion 40 GB tbu.

Now when a backup of any sort is run the server locks up and you have to force a shut down to restore activeity.

No ctrl-alt-del doesn't work mouse cursor moves thats it remote access via ntwork allows me to shutdown / restart.

Have scanned ms technet etc no luck. there are vague references to a number of hotfixes but all I have found say that they are older then the current file and won't load.

Any thought / suggestions appreciated

Re: NTBACKUP.exe Fails on Server 2003 after service pack 1

Originally posted by Casual
    Dual Xeon / full intel system server, scsi raid 5, 2 GB RAM running windows 2003 server standard. Service pack one applied and all subsequent updates. Prior to spk 1 the system ran a scheduled daily backup using ntbackup.exe on a seagate scorpion 40 GB tbu.

Now when a backup of any sort is run the server locks up and you have to force a shut down to restore activeity.

No ctrl-alt-del doesn't work mouse cursor moves thats it remote access via ntwork allows me to shutdown / restart.

Have scanned ms technet etc no luck. there are vague references to a number of hotfixes but all I have found say that they are older then the current file and won't load.

Any thought / suggestions appreciated
    Hi there
    I've just recovered my server using NTBackup after a major crash which lost my Adaptec Raid card and 5 HDDs, my server is the same as yours but I had SP1 already installed. I was obviously using NTBackup fine with SP1 and no problems but after the full restore and the restore of the daily tapes to get me back to date I cannot backup without the same effects as yourself, total lockup.
    I have tried to backup to file on the HDD but same thing happens, thus possibly eliminating the Sony AIT2 tape drive or tapes. I've re-installed the Sony drive with no effect.
    My log files show nothing only that the backup started.
    The backup sessions start then the server locks up at random times varying from about 50secs to 3 or 4 minutes. I can still restore anything from the tapes with no problems. I've shut down things like Anti-virus etc. but to no effect at all.

Trusting these notes help with someone coming up with an answer. As you are having similar problems is it possibly something to do with a new update and will more people be getting the same problems?

Best Regards
    Trav

Comment

Having the same problem, thought it was SystemState, have had the lockup with or without SystemState.

Have either of you worked this out?

Comment

I have a 2003 server SP1, dual zeon, Adaptec RAID 5, USB 2.0 300GB.

Using NTbackup to back up the server to the USB drives and the same thing happens to my server. Runs for a randon period of time, and hangs. No event in the event log excepts back up started, and then I have to do a hard restart to getng running again.

Has anyone else found the fix yet?

Gary

Comment

[QUOTE=Bench]I have a 2003 server SP1, dual zeon, Adaptec RAID 5, USB 2.0 300GB.

Using NTbackup to back up the server to the USB drives and the same thing happens to my server. Runs for a randon period of time, and hangs. No event in the event log excepts back up started, and then I have to do a hard restart to getng running again. The server desktop is some what responsive, but when I tired task manager, it blanks out and the ONLY thing you can do is move the mouse.

Has anyone else found the fix yet?

Gary

Comment

This started happening to BOTH our Win2k3 servers after applying June's security updates. We don't have the ability to test patches - too small a shop.

I have been struggling unsuccessfully to find out what is causing it. The Exchange server fails after about 4 days running (the file/print server takes about 2 weeks) with a locked console - we CAN log in via Remote Desktop and this has been a saving grace. I thought it might be TightVNC so I replaced this with RealVNC - same thing happened. Now I have also removed RealVNC as well but the problem persists.

After re-booting the file/print server a couple of days ago, I tried a backup of our Exchange server to a share on the file/print server. That afternoon the file/print server locked so I believe there is a causal link between ntBackup and this behaviour.

We have also been having intermittent problems with ntBackup jobs - for some reason, the exact same script works one time and fails the next - even with the same tape loaded! I have been stopping/starting the RSM service via batch file prior to running the backup job but this hasn't fixed things. I am going to try to unmount/mount the tape to see if this fixes things next. Not expecting much as it was the ntBackup to file that caused the file/print server to hang!

I will keep you posted.

Comment

Has anyone tried updating the tape drivers?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tried the driver thing but, again, if it fails on writing to a file, the tape driver is probably not responsible.

Comment

Does anybody have any idea of how to use the rsm command in a batch file?
                  I am trying to dismount/mount the media prior to running the backup to solve our backup issues.

NB. I have tried "rsm dismount /lfDAT72" but it can't find the "friendly name"? This also fails if I specify the full tape name, though I don't want to have to use that as I want to use a generic batch file for the dismount/mount operation.

Comment

Have a look and see if this helps. Otherwise scroll though this one.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by JohnK View Post
                      This started happening to BOTH our Win2k3 servers after applying June's security updates. We don't have the ability to test patches - too small a shop.

I will keep you posted.
                      Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem. We have a remote server doing very similar things - runs for several days then just hangs, always in the early hours of the morning whilst doing its 'housekeeping' A restart is always required.

Comment

After October's patch Tuesday, things came good all by themselves - we have been running now for 6 weeks without grief.
                        All I can imagine is that something in one of the M$ patches broke it and another patch restored it. I don't believe we will ever know what actually caused this as M$ will be unlikely to come clean about having created the problem in the first place!

Comment

Working...
                        X