No announcement yet.

Connecting to Shared Folder - Win2k3

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to Shared Folder - Win2k3

Good morning...I am looking for directions about how to connect to a shared folder on a Windows 2003 Server Standard at the office from a remote location over the internet.

Back in the old days at the location I used to work, we had a Windows NT4.0 computer that was plugged directly into a cable modem. We set the folder on the NT4 machine to be shared and who was allowed to get it. From the client at my house, we created a mapped drive such as \\public ip address\share name. At which time I would be prompted for my domain username/password and then I would have a mapped drive in My Computer showing that connection over the internet back to the NT4.0 server.

I want to be able to connect to some shared folders from home and need to know how to accomplish that.

Thanks a million everyone.

Re: Connecting to Shared Folder - Win2k3

maybe webdav?

RDP plus "connect client drives" will allow you to copy files, alternatively a VPN will give you full access.

tbh, I think the way you were doing it would probably still work (just don't mention security )

How is your domain connected to the internet at the moment?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

if you can rdp into the box then you can use RDP option connect local resource there are other possibilites also available however if you can give us more info on how you connect to remote sys via internet then we will be able to suggest something more specific.
        Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points