FSMO Roles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSMO Roles

If I have three of my five servers set up as a global catalog server, do I need to worry about what server has the FSMO roles? Currently the first domain server that was brought up in the domain has all of the roles. If this server fails for whatever reason, will the roles be automatically transfered to another server? Or do I need to do this myself? Is it true that if I have more than one server setup with the global catatog then if I loose any server including the one holding all the roles the domain can still function unaffected?

Re: FSMO Roles

you should always at least know where your FSMO roles are - this is just part of being a sensible administrator.

as to which one has them, in your situation, it in likelihood does not matter. There are some instances where you need to be specific, but no need to worrry about it just now

FSMO roles do not transfer automatically, it's something you do manually, you can either do it through the AD snapins, or, if catastrophic brimfire breaks loose, then you can "seize" the roles.

Technically, yes, you can sustain the loss of your FSMO roles for a while, but things will start going wrong.

in particular you've got things like the Relative ID (RID) master - if you're often creating large numbers of items,y ou can run out of RIDs.

Your PDC Emulator maintains time synchronisation, which is massively important for Kerberos.

take a look at following:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197132
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks,

How many Dc's should contain the global catalog? We currently have three, but is there an advantage to having more or less?

Comment

If it is a single domain forest, all of them can (and should) be GCs
        In a multiple domain forest there is one of the FSMOs which should not be on a GC but for the life of me I cannot remember which
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

You can always seize the fsmo role in case they fail or tranfer when you plan to demote.
          Keeping a GC doesn't garantee that your domain will function if fsmo are unavailable.

In some cases for ex: it's not recommended that you keep your Infrastructure master on GC if you have multi domain env. however if you have all of your dc configured as GC then it doesn't matter.
          Thanks & Regards
          v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
          Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
          Independent IT Consultant and Architect
          Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            If it is a single domain forest, all of them can (and should) be GCs
            In a multiple domain forest there is one of the FSMOs which should not be on a GC but for the life of me I cannot remember which
            Infrastructure Master IIRC.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                That information can be found in this Train Signal Lab http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...-Training.aspx It also includes what Role combinations should not be mixed on DCs.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is quite a good blog explaining the Infrastructure Master and GC relationship.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    This is quite a good blog explaining the Infrastructure Master and GC relationship.
                    He must have watched the Train Signal Lab.

He also explains it a lot better and clearer than the MS KB that he linked to.
                    Nice find that man. Wait, you are not a man. You are a Scot so that makes you a Super Man. Click image for larger version

Name:	groupwave.gif
Views:	7
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	464720
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X