No announcement yet.

Problems joining domain from workstations

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems joining domain from workstations

I have been struggling with setting up my new Dell PE2800 server with Windows 2003 and Exchange.

Some notes:

I understand that Microsoft does not recommend running both Exchange and DC on the same machine however I understand the ramifications.

Second we have an existing server that is a SBS, I added the 2003 Active directory structure thinking I was going to migrate but discovered that that would be a bigger task than I was willing to take on all at once. so I set up the new 2003 server just like the SBS same domain and all, and same exchange set up. Different network and hub/switch so it was isolated. Then imported many of the accounts and machine to the new server excluding the domain, and re configured the accounts.

However now I can not join the new server with the old clients, I get errors.

Dell spend hours trying to help me the came to the conclusion that AD was messed up. Is there anything I can do to resolve this as I spend a great deal of time setting up this new server and all the accounts.

Re: Problems joining domain from workstations

Can you let us know what the error messages are? DNS settings, IP settings, DHCP etc...
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

What did you use to migrate the accounts across??

Make sure that the clients DNS is pointing to the new server.

Hope that helps.
        Tc by maserati
        Last edited by syncme; 23rd April 2011, 06:56.

whats is output of nslookup ?! is it showing / pointing to newer domain ? have you setup clients wins and dns to new domain ? have you check reverse lookup zone on new domain ?!