Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to upgrade to R2 for DFS replication

Hi,

We have Server 2003 Ent. with a volume license installed on most of our servers including domain controllers. We are moving our network this year and I want a way to replicate the data between locations. I have MSDN copies of Server 2003 R2 (this is a software development LAN) I can use to upgrade.

I would guess I need to start from disk 1 ( I know R2 components are mostly on disk 2 though) and do the upgrade since the license is different. Also I already have DFS running on a Domain Controller so this would be the first to get the upgrade.

How would you go about this? Should I only upgrade the one DFS machine to R2? Or both Domain Controllers, or ALL servers???

How painful will the upgrade be, are there any gotcha's doing the upgrade from disk? This is a production domain controller and no room for error here.
    I know, make a backup

Re: Need to upgrade to R2 for DFS replication

Hi,

Trying to understand your requirement... r u trying to introduce new DC or r u tring to upgrade an existing one.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Well I want to take advantage of the DFS replication in version R2. So I need to upgrade the present server (Domain Controller - production) to R2. This presently holds the DFS root and is published to AD. Problem (if it is a problem) is the present server is a volume license and I plan to use a MSDN R2 to upgrade it. I suppose I just can't stick in the second disk of the R2 set, I'd need to start from scratch, 1st disk? See my previous message for more info.

I have built up other new servers with R2 that will go to the new location. I want to replicate most of the data between the 2 "storage" servers and figured DFS replication is the best way to go. I previously was just going to write robocopy scripts.

Comment

Hi,

I don't think so it would cause a issue however what you can do is test it in a lab. It's always advisable

and here is good and detailed article on how to go about migrating to DFSr (R2)
        http://searchwindowsserver.techtarge...Server-2003-R2
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X