No announcement yet.

request advice on moving user profiles, etc from one physical server to another

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• request advice on moving user profiles, etc from one physical server to another

I am running a W2K3 AD Domain with all the latest service patches, etc. I have one final W2k member server that I would like to decomission. The issue is that on that server are my user profiles, home directories and TS profiles. I would like to move all that information to a 2K3 server but am unsure of the best practice.

I'd like to think it's as easy as coping from server-1 to server-2. Update all GPOs and login scripts and thats that. In fact I have tested a few users against that process and it isn't that easy. One nagging issue is that the user settings in the NTUSER.dat file still point to server-1.

Thanks in advance

Re: request advice on moving user profiles, etc from one physical server to another

Hi,

how have you implement this user profiles, home directories is thru GPO or Active directory user's and computer's updating user's attribute.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Re: request advice on moving user profiles, etc from one physical server to another

I have implemented the profiles via ADUC with GPO for folder redirection and login scripts.

Comment

Hi,

You need to modify and update the GPO and login scripts to reflect the new location. For tranferring data from one server to another you can use Rich Copy. It will copy the profiles and other shares and keep the permission intact as well.

What do you mean by this
        One nagging issue is that the user settings in the NTUSER.dat file still point to server-1.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X