Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using DNS servers with DHCP

Hi

I've been reading MS article located here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...25ae150ec.mspx

It's about DNS ownership in AD integrated. My question is, I never actually set any dnscredentials in the DHCP and never seen any problems with it. So do you really need to set this option on ? by default if DHCP server is installed in a DC, it can create and delete records already. So the use of DNS credentials is really no point.

Anyone with any other views please post. Thanks

Re: Using DNS servers with DHCP

This is new to 2003 and havn't had much chance to play around yet, so I'm just using my Microsoft "Guess-o-meter" here.

I would agree that when on the same server there is no problem with not setting credentials, but when they are seperate and you are using DNS Secure Updates, credentials will be needed.

i.e. "Secure Updates"

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

It's not quite like that. Secure updates use the computer account, and that is always possible without extra configuration.

The issue here is more subtle. If you run DHCP on a DC it runs in the security context of that DC. So, if the DHCP creates DNS recores on behalf of a client, the DC will be owner of that recored. That may not be what you want, and some claim that this is a security risk. The 'update account' is used to work around it. Google "DNSUpdateProxyGroup" for more info.

Comment

So basically if I lost that DHCP and the DC, then would the other DHCP in another DC be able to update the records in the DNS ? Am I correct to say that it can't update the records coz the record is owned by the previous DHCP unless if I specify the credentials which the other DHCP can update the DNS records using the specified credentials??

Comment

Originally posted by skemp
          So basically if I lost that DHCP and the DC, then would the other DHCP in another DC be able to update the records in the DNS ? Am I correct to say that it can't update the records coz the record is owned by the previous DHCP unless if I specify the credentials which the other DHCP can update the DNS records using the specified credentials??
          Correct. Note: in its default configuration DHCP only registers PTR records, so it's not an important point.

Comment

Working...
          X