No announcement yet.

fixing an oversized oversized \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing an oversized oversized \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

After rebooting a server to test one of the recent patches I was suddenly staring at:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8.

After cursing a bit I quickly found;en-us;306038 which explains that this probably happens because the SYSTEM file is too big. This seems to be the case since this file is 10.5 mb and another KB article hints that I can expect this after 10.3mb.

I tried the options mentioned in the article and none of them seem to work. I'm considering restoring but I am not sure when this file was still ok.

I'm wondering if I could somehow take this file to another machine and run it trough some sort of registry checking tool.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Re: fixing an oversized oversized \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

which steps have you taken in that article?

If it's just a workstation and you have a like system around, (for example, if your in an office environment where you have multiple computers that run the same software and hardware.) You can:

1. remove the hard drive from the problem computer, set the jumpers to a slave configuration and install it in a similar computer.

2. rename the system hive to system.old

3. boot to a recovery console and copy in the system hive from the new computer. (you may have to copy it to an intermediate location like c:\ and boot back into windows before copying to the new drive)

4. turn off the computer, remove the drive, reset the pins to master, and replace it in the old computer.

5. reboot.

this should load the unbloated system hive with most of the registry settings for the software the user needs to do their job.

Another thing you can do is create an emergency boot cd from or
    which has offline registry editing tools on it, and delete the offending entries.

I can't imagine what area under the system hive would have so much crud (6-7extra megs) in it, but if you can determine that, you can use those tools to reduce the size of your registry.

edit: My bad, you actually stated it was a server. Sorry, i didn't see that.
    Last edited by Gn0stik; 17th October 2005, 21:54.

Re: fixing an oversized oversized \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Ive' taken all but the restore.

I've gotten a little further than last night. I've taken a PE bootdisk, dug trough the registry and found a huge amount of Terminal server print info in there. Removed it but the file has become slightly larger. I'm now trying to see what a registry defrag tool will do.