Help with DC replication - file replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with DC replication - file replication

I have one primary DC that has AD, printer server, file server, IIS 6.0. About 30 users log on in AD.
    It is designed that for every user folders My Documents and Desktop are kept on server (think this is done with folder redirection with GPOs). If the DC is unavailable (and it often is due to his old hardware - one processor at 3GH and 1GB DD2 RAM).

I want to make another server DC, so if the primary falls the new one will take control. I've promoted the server as DC, but during the replication process it only copy users and computers from AD of the primary server. Now i have another DC in the network, but if the primary falls again the users cannot access the files and folder in My Documents and Desktop folder.
    How can i make file replication between the two DC (if that's possible), and how to enable synchronization between the two, so if one falls the other can take the full control.

If somebody has idea or have done this pleas help.

Thax

Re: Help with DC replication - file replication

Hi,

What you have done is added fault tolerance and redundancy to your directory services not to file server where actually the user profile and data is stored.

You need to use file server clusters for that purpose. Then cluster being high available will able to provide you the kind of solution that you are looking for.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thax for the reply v-2nas.
      I'm new to Server 2003. I still need a lot of readings

Now, this means that users can log on to AD, security permissions will still be enforced on them based on GPOs, but they can't access the files in the file server.

What if i use enable offline folders.
      They will copy the files locally, and then just synchronize with the file server when he is up.
      Any ideas how to enable offline folders?
      I know it's through GPOs, but don't know how?

Comment

Hi,

As per your requirement. You want the users to have access to their files even if one DC goes down... is this correct

Then you need to have your files on high available server for example if your on DC goes down still the user will be able to access the files...

let me know if your requirements are different than what i have understood.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

You can use DFS to gain redundancy. Depending on whether you have 2003 or R2 there are slightly different versions, but the process is similar:
          Create a DFS root
          Add folder targets on both servers and create a replication schedule
          Change user settings to point to the DFS root and not to a share on a named server

Not normally recommended on a DC but in your environment it would work OK
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X