Deploying NT backup to 60+ Remote Sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying NT backup to 60+ Remote Sites

EDIT: Post, posted half way though typing the title, can a admin please change it to something like "Deploying NT backup to 60+ remote sites". Thanks.

Hello,

First off, if the wrong forum, please move, could not see a Backup Forum.

Anyhow, I am back with a New job, and the first thing that I need to do is setup a backup solution for some site computers.

There are 60+ sites that I need to configure to backup the user profile to a external USB drive. I should be able to do this with just NT backup, but I am wondering if there is a better free backup application, or a dirt cheap one.

I would like email and event log alerts, and I would love it if it could be managed from a single location. I have tried to do it with 3 batch files, One that contains the backup command, one to push the backup command to the remote computer and one to add it to the tasks on the remote computer.
    The Backup Batch file.
    Code:
    set logfiledir=
    set logdest=
    set backdes=
    FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1-4 delims=/ " %%d IN (`date /t`) DO set cdate=%%d%%e%%f
    FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1,2 delims=: " %%t IN (`time /t`) do set ctime=%%t%%u
    del /q %logfiledir%\*.log
    Rem --- System state backup ---
    ntbackup backup systemstate /f %backdes%\%computername%-systemstate-%cdate%.bkf /j "systemstate" /l:s

FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%n IN (`dir %logfiledir%\ /b`) DO ren %logfiledir%\%%n %computername%-"systemstate"-%cdate%.log
    move /y %logfiledir%\*.log %logdest%
    Rem --- hard drive backup ---
    Rem --- Copy and paste from here downwards for multiple drives---
    ntbackup backup c:\toolbox /f %backdes%\%computername%-cdrive-%cdate%.bkf /j "C Drive" /l:s
    FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%n IN (`dir %logfiledir%\ /b`) DO ren %logfiledir%\%%n %computername%-"Cdrive"-%cdate%.log
    move /y %logfiledir%\*.log %logdest%
    Rem --- end copy ---
    Code for the batch that sets the task.
    Code:
    FOR /F “tokens=* delims=: ” %%i in (c:\servers.txt) do schtasks /create /s \\%%i /u domain\username /p password /tn Server-Backup /tr “c:\backup.bat” /sc daily /st 19:00:00
    I would like to be able to remove the username and password from this script, as I hate the idea of sending admin details in clear text (even bit moved, its still easy to open).

Other then that, its not working... I can not see the error, as I cut and paste this script from one of my old maintenance scripts, and it worked then .

Code:
    FOR /F “tokens=* delims=: ” %%i in (c:\servers.txt) do copy /z /y /v SOURCE DEST
    Not working ether, but this part is the lest important, I can quite happily update a single file.

If anyone has any ideas on what I ahve stuffed up, please let me know.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: Deploying NT backup to 60+ Remote Sites

Hi,

What is the client OS?

and do you want to backup local user profile
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Client OS is all XP, we will be moving over to Win7 when we move to 2008, so I will have a proper network backup solution designed for that.

We have some 3rd party apps that save data to different folders in the profiles. I would like to back up the profile of the user "Site" (Where site is the name of the site). The selection of the files is not the part that I am having problems with, but getting a way to deploy this to all sites short of logging onto each machine and setting up the tasks... and I would rather not have to do that.

I have done deployments like this before, buts its always been over a LAN, not a WAN, but that should not make that much difference as its a Private network.

Please feel free to ask any more questions, and I will now go kick myself for not giving enough infomation.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Hi,

If all users are on fixed machines means not on laptop. You can use roaming profile and make their profile saved on storage. Then you can backup that storage. It will be easier to manage this than backing up individual profile on different machines.

Other wise you need to user some scripting tools to achieve that or use Symantec Backup Excec with backup laptop/desktop option.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X