• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32bit and 64bit drivers

Server: 2003 r2
    Clients: xp and 2007
    Network Printer: 4650

On the server \printer and faxes\add new printer\ I created a printer hp4650 and installed 32 bit drivers and all works. Ok, I recently purchased laptops with windows 2007 w\64bit OS. From the server, is there a way to add both the 32bit and 64bit driver so when distributed, the windows 2007 client can print? Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Re: 32bit and 64bit drivers

When you install the drivers on the server that will host the printer share, one of the dialog boxes asks you if you want to install driver versions for any other operating systems. If the driver is rated for Windows 7 64-bit, you should see an entry with a check box to fill. Once shared, the client will report it's OS to the server when the user adds the printer into his/her profile.

If the driver for Windows 7 64-bit has to be installed as a separate entry as opposed to included as described above, simply define a second shared printer on the physical 4650 that uses the 64-bit driver, and name it so the users can tell the difference.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

this is a good idea, but hahahahah. so users can tell the difference?
      good for a chuckle

i know of an organisation where te staff were sent a very clear email, stating some changes wer happening, and printers would be renamed to XYZ instead of what they were before, and that big stickers with the new names would be on printers.

te help desk still received double-figures calls from users saying "i can't access my printer abc456" "printer abc456 is broken" "whatever you did to the server ruined my printer"

A user isn't going to know they need the x64 printer !
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

There is no windows 2007.

When you install the driver for a printer on a server OS and use the server OS drivers for that printer, it usually already includes all other OS drivers within it.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

You need to add the 64bit driver to the 32bit machine using a 64bit client.

You can't do it from the 32bit print server.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

I think you mean to say win 7 instead of win 2007. anyways. You can add x64 bit drivers using the following options. Go to printer properties > Sharing > Additional Drivers > Select x64 and then navigate to x64 bit drivers for win 7 os for that printer.

If printer is older model than release date of os then either you need to check if printer driver for win 7 exit or use universal drivers or call vendor
            Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Correct, I meant windows 7...
              I followed the steps and installed the driver. If I go to the client, I can browse for the printer and manually install; however, the 64bit driver is not installing from the GPO on the windows 7 client but the 32bit driver does install on the xp client. Are other steps needed to force the 64bit to install?
              Last edited by superhl; 7th January 2011, 21:48.

Server 2003 R2. Is this the 32 or 64bit version?
                Departed: 23rd December 2015