Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming Administrator Account

Hi Folks,

We are planning to rename domain admin account of our organization (Win 2003), I do know the procedure to achieve this task using GPO but in our case we need to rename the admin account for all the computers residing in a specific OU.

Can anyone share his experience in this regard?

Thanks

Re: Renaming Administrator Account

Are you planning to rename the Administrator accounts of the computers in a OU? That is not the same as renaming the domain admin account.
    You simply link a group policy to the computers OU with the rename settings.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ahmedakber View Post
      Hi Folks,

in our case we need to rename the admin account for all the computers residing in a specific OU.

Thanks
      Do you mean the local Admin accounts on client (/memberserver)
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

The first part of your question almost sounds like you want to change the domain admin account name, but I don't think this can be done.

The second part sounds as if you want to change who has local admin rights on your locals machines for a certain OU.

The second part is done through GPO 'Restricted groups.

1. Create a GPO.
        2. Set the Resctricted group settings in that new GPO you've just created.
        Computer Config>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Restricted Groups.
        Since you want to rename the admin account, create an account on the domain, we'll call it Scruffy, then add this account to the restricted groups with the admin membership.
        3. Link this GPO to the container you want these settings applied to.

After GPO is applied, you'll have an admin account named Scruffy who has local admin priviledges to all your machines within that OU you assigned the GPO to.

I think it'll work!
        Last edited by Mudd; 13th December 2010, 22:51.

Comment

Hi,

Just came across this article from MS. You can use following method decribed in the Knowledge Base to rename Admin and Guest account using Group Policy

HOW TO: Rename the Administrator and Guest Account in Windows Server 2003
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816109
          Thanks & Regards
          v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
          Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
          Independent IT Consultant and Architect
          Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

To make it further clear, I can able to apply the rename policy at domain level but this applies to all computer accounts (Including All DC and Member Clients) and renames all local admin accounts.

As per my requirement, I am looking for renaming admin accounts of selected computers (i.e. domain controllers) via GPO without effecting other local admins of client machines and other member servers.

The link provided by v-2nas renames at domain level but we are looking for renaming specific ones.

Comment

domain controllers don't have local administrator accounts.

in fact, domain controllers don't have local security databases at all
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X