Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot connect to internet on member server

Hi All,

having a strange problem down here. my test lab consists of following scenario

1- windows server 2003 32-bit on vmware (domain controller)

2- windows server 2003 (member server)

internet is working on domain controller, but for some strange reason its not working on member server.

following is the network configuration

Domain Controller (DHCP enabled)

External Lan: 192.168.1.x

Internal Lan: 192.168.145.10
    DNS: 192.168.145.10 (self)

Member Server

IP: 192.168.145.50 (dhcp)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.145.10 (dhcp)
    DNS: 192.168.145.10 (dhcp)

Event viewer Logs: The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
    with settings:

Adapter Name : {F3868AFF-FD31-4424-86CC-140180ABDF82}
    Host Name : exchange
    Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : quantum.local
    DNS server list :
    Sent update to server : 255.255.255.255
    IP Address : 192.168.145.50

Created DNS reverse lookup zone on domain controller for network 192.168.45.x

still internet is not working.

any ideas?

Re: Cannot connect to internet on member server

Look at the NIC configuration for the "Member server". Is it "bridged" to the physical network? Does it have a NIC on the same segment as the physical network? Judging by the information you have posted the answer is no. As they are not on the same network and unless you have something performing routing between the dissimilar subnets you will have routing issues. What version of VMware are you using? Is the member server able to ping the DC as in does basic connectivity exist. Is the "member server" capable of name resolution? IE when you type NSLOOKUP from a command prompt is it able to even find its default server and then query that DNS server etc.
    And your rDNS configuration is not the issue. Your NIC configuration imo is.

Comment

Thanks for the reply scurlaruntings.

Network configuration of VMware is as follows

Domain Controller

2 NICs

NIC-External (Internet) -> Bridged (connected directly to host NIC and thus listening on 192.168.1.x)

NIC-Internal (Private Virtual LAN) -> Custom ( listening on VMnet Host 2. vmnet host 2 is configured at 192.168.145.x network)

Member Server

1 NIC -> Custom (listening on vmnet host 2, and thus listening on 192.168.145.x network)

connectivity between member server and domain controller is fine. 100/100 ping

member server should be able to use internet via domain controller isnt it? domain controller is dhcp-ing ip address and everything to member server. they are part of same network

I am using vmWare 7.1.2 build-301548.

yes, DC and member server are both able to ping each other (kindly see attachments)

member server is also able to resolve dns correctly (kindly see attachments)

still, internet is not working on member server
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by outstream View Post
        Thanks for the reply scurlaruntings.

Network configuration of VMware is as follows

Domain Controller

2 NICs

NIC-External (Internet) -> Bridged (connected directly to host NIC and thus listening on 192.168.1.x)

NIC-Internal (Private Virtual LAN) -> Custom ( listening on VMnet Host 2. vmnet host 2 is configured at 192.168.145.x network)

Member Server

1 NIC -> Custom (listening on vmnet host 2, and thus listening on 192.168.145.x network)

connectivity between member server and domain controller is fine. 100/100 ping

member server should be able to use internet via domain controller isnt it? domain controller is dhcp-ing ip address and everything to member server. they are part of same network

I am using vmWare 7.1.2 build-301548.

yes, DC and member server are both able to ping each other (kindly see attachments)

member server is also able to resolve dns correctly (kindly see attachments)

still, internet is not working on member server
        No. Unless the DC is acting as a router you wont have any internet connectivity on that member server. DHCP is only a mechanism to auto configure a NIC. Like i said the member server is on a different network. A network which has no route to the internet with that configuration. Add a second NIC thats "bridged" to your physical LAN and give it an IP on the 192.168.1.x subnet and you will have internet connectivity.
        Last edited by scurlaruntings; 10th December 2010, 09:32.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the help scurlaruntings

Comment

You did not use (or want to use) your DC as a Router to the internet right?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

No, I did.

Thats what I exactly wanted. i.e all of my domain members (be it member servers or just client computers) to be able to connect to internet via DC.

But right now i am having two NICs on each machine. one for internal LAN (domain), the other one for internet (bridged directly to host NIC)

How do i get my machines on domain to access internet via DC?

I tried enabling the routing bit in dhcp, didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by outstream View Post
                No, I did.

Thats what I exactly wanted. i.e all of my domain members (be it member servers or just client computers) to be able to connect to internet via DC.

But right now i am having two NICs on each machine. one for internal LAN (domain), the other one for internet (bridged directly to host NIC)

How do i get my machines on domain to access internet via DC?

I tried enabling the routing bit in dhcp, didnt work
                You need to install and configure RRAS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/n.../bb545655.aspx

Comment

Okay, thanks.

I enabled and configured RRAS but it didnt work. Perhaps i configured it on the wrong NIC?

Please see the attached network diagram of my test lab scenario.

According to diagram I configured RRAS on DC, on its internal NIC for LAN routing only. is that how i was supposed to configure it?
                  Attached Files

Comment

This will become a very very bad security practice.
                    Use a decent firewall and a proxy server to do this.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                    X