Replication question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replication question

Hey guys, i'm sort of new to this active directory business, i read the MOC for the 70-290 exam and been testing a lot, but i do get in trouble when it comes to replication.

I have a single domain and 2 domain controllers.

My questions are:

. I create an OU in the first DC, shouldn't that OU appear in the second DC?
    . If i turn off the first DC, users can't logon to theyre workstations ... isn't the second DC suppose to manage?

Also it has happened at some point to have both domain controllers invisible from each other, like both had distinct active directories ...

Help!

Re: Replication question

Hi,

Please find the answer inline bold

This will only happen if you have additional domain controller. It's availability on the other domain controller will be based on replication timing set in Active Directory sites and services

. If i turn off the first DC, users can't logon to theyre workstations ... isn't the second DC suppose to manage?
    Again it depends upon how your DCs are configured parent child, DC-ADC, DC in differnet sites

Also it has happened at some point to have both domain controllers invisible from each other, like both had distinct active directories ...
    What do you mean by invisible.You can have one forest, and subsequent domains in same forest either as parent-child or individual domain but in same forest. Distinct directories what i would interpret, different Directory services in different forests not connected via any trust
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by brunobliss View Post

Yes, but replication (the process by which objects are copied between domain controllers) takes time, dependent on your configuration within Sites and Services etc (don't worry, you'll cover this stuff much later)
      You should expect to definitely see the object replicated within 4 hours though. If not, start troubleshooting using a tool like DCDIAG.

Yes, however there are a couple of caveats here.
      Firstly, there's a function called a Global Catalog. You have to have at least one of these in a domain, and despite the fact that Active Directory is now multi-master (each domain controller is supposed to be a primary copy) a GC is still responsible for resolving lookups.

You may also have a DNS issue. If you have isntalled the DNS on only one domain controller, then when you shut that one down, dns lookups will fail.

if you only take one thing away from my post, remember this: DNS is INTEGRAL and CRITICAL to active directory. Not only does DNS contain normal host registrations like SErver.domain.com is IP 192.168.1.1 but it also contains unique and special ACtive Directory records.
      These are called SRV records, and they tell computers in an active directory domain where to find specific things.

for instance, you will have an SRV record for a domain controller. This tells the Windows XP computer that when it needs to authenticate, it must look for an SRV record for it's closest domain controller. If your DNS server is down, it can't look up the SRV record, so it can't authenticate you

Hope this helps you a little bit mate
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thank you for shedding some lights fellas

now i'm aware that some of those issues go a little bit of course with what i'm studing right now, nonetheless, it was helpfull enough and will certainly be usefull in the near future (i hope!)

Cheers!
        Bruno

Comment

Working...
        X