Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS not gets updated with DHCP entry for non windows machine

Hi,

I'm having mysterious issue that confused me for such a long time till now, I've got one DC which acted as DNS and DHCP as well.

However it is successfully giving out IP address to all IP enabled device and machine but when updating the DNS entry, only the Windows machine (workstations and server) gets their IP registered in the DNS server, therefore i cannot ping and access the other Linux machine apart from using IP address only.

restarting the DNS (plus RELOAD the entry) and DHCP services doesn't help at all and also entering the DHCP assigned IP address into the DNS server caused more problem since the address is assigned to different host already by DHCP but not gets updated in the DNS server (only to non-windows machine).

If anyone know how to diagnose and help me solve this problem that'd be very great helps.

Thanks.

Re: DNS not gets updated with DHCP entry for non windows machine

pretty sure it will only allow Secure Updates, which means the DHCP client needs to be a windows host
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

windows dhcp will give out ip address to non windows clients, such as printers/ voip phones or linux servers. however DNS wont update these addresses by default as you normally have an AD integrated zone set to secure updates only. Your best option is to either create a DHCP reservation for the linux client (using MAC) and manually put a static entry in dns or use a static ip and static DNS entry.

Comment

Originally posted by hazey View Post
        windows dhcp will give out ip address to non windows clients, such as printers/ voip phones or linux servers. however DNS wont update these addresses by default as you normally have an AD integrated zone set to secure updates only. Your best option is to either create a DHCP reservation for the linux client (using MAC) and manually put a static entry in dns or use a static ip and static DNS entry.
        yes, that sounds like it man !

and now I'm changing the Dynamic Updates into "Nonsecure and secure" mode on my DNS server.

and also i must make sure that in all of those Linux machine i must give it name as LinuxMachine.domain.com (FQDN style)

hopefully that is working fine

Comment

Working...
        X