IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP error on Win 2000 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP error on Win 2000 server

A Windows 2000 Server (with SP4) has blue-screened with an error message something like:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFF024,...)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    ** Address 80001FA2 base at hal.dll

This has happened on consecutive weekends.

I've checked for events that may happen on the weekend, but cannot think of anything that is peculiar to this time.

An anti-virus (Norton Antivirus CE 7.5) scan is running when the STOP error occurs, the last recorded event being:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Norton AntiVirus
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6
    Date: 08/10/2005
    Time: 20:50:22
    User: N/A
    Computer: CANBERRA
    Description:

Scan could not open file C:\WINNT\Debug\PASSWD.LOG [00000003]

However, scans run nightly, and STOP errors don't always occur. Also, I can scan C:\WINNT manually without problem.

In addition, during the weekend, but not necessarily at the same time, the Norton Antivirus Service on a Windows 2003 server takes 90%+ of CPU time, and keeps it. The service needs to be restarted to release the load on the CPU.

We also run Windows Update from an internal WSUS server, but again, I cannot find anything that is peculiar to the weekend, and the update log doesn't list anything obvious.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Re: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP error on Win 2000 server

This error is typical for a bad driver. Antivirus is certainly a possibility. Also, check for non-signed drivers.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try the Windows Driver Verifier. Any thoughts on this utiltity?
      Last edited by John_Blight; 10th October 2005, 22:51. Reason: Pedantic correction

Comment

Norton 7.5 arent support so try to upgrade to 10.1. The Norton 7.5 cant run on Windows 2000 today.

Regards,

Yuval
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Norton 7.5 isn't supported, but it can run on Windows 2000, and indeed, WIndows XP and Windows Server 2003, although for these latter operating systems, an update is required to be able to run real-time protection. These OSes are helpful enough to provide a link to the required update.

Comment

This server used to run Windows XP. It was made a Windows 2000 server to run some legacy software.

The BIOS is Award 6.0 PG, which is designated as for Windows XP. Might this cause problems with Windows 2000? The latest I've seen specified for Windows 2000 is possibly v4.51.

Comment

1. upgrade from xp or fresh install?

2. Also, it should state which driver it's having a problem with. That specific error message is driver/hardware related and can have something to do with a driver or simply be a hardware conflict in my experience (you would think it would handle it a bit more gracefully). Something as simple as changing the slots a device is plugged into can fix it.

I see it mentions hal.dll there but it's not in the format i'm used to seeing it. Stop msgs like that usually appear something like:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox20000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF6EA8BBF)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F6EA8BBF base at F6E8F000, DateStamp 3f04cf17

which clearly states that USBPORT.SYS is the offending driver.

3. when it fails, is it always on that file/directory? if so, try simply excluding it from the backup routine. although I can't imagine this would have anything to do with a backup, unless it's having problems with the scsi controller, or the tape drive.
              Last edited by Gn0stik; 17th October 2005, 22:10.

Comment

1. It was a completely fresh install of Windows 2000 server - disk completely wiped, repartioned, reformatted.

2. The error message wasn't so helpful as to identify a driver. However, the graphics card (Matrox G400) driver was updated in the last couple of days, and when triggering a reboot to complete the update, the PC blue-screened with the hal.dll error. I suspect there is a problem with this card and its driver; I've had problems with Matrox cards before; my workstation has one, a G450.

In the latest server blue-screen, a Windows/Microsoft update was also in progress, which might have contributed to the problem.

The blue-screen error message suggests disabling shadowing, and graphics memory/RAM shadowing is currently enabled in the BIOS. This may be a feature of the BIOS updated for Windows XP, I'm not sure. If I get further problems, I'll try disabling this feature.

3. The Norton AntiVirus factor needs more investigation, but I suspect that the log messages may be just coincidence. The logs aren't comprehensive, and I'm not confident that the scans were are that particular point when the server crashed. The location specified can be scanned manually without problem.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Further to the Matrox G400 graphics card, I have just updated the card's BIOS.

As before, any further comments appreciated.

Comment

Updating the graphics card's BIOS didn't help.

A more complete copy of the message, if that helps:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFF024, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80001FA2)
                    IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address 80001FA2 base at 80001000, Datestamp 3e7a7338 - hal.dll

Comment

Working...
                    X