Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing IP Address Scheme for Windows Server 2003 AD - Gradually or All-At-Once?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing IP Address Scheme for Windows Server 2003 AD - Gradually or All-At-Once?

I am faced with the situation where I have to change my IP address scheme from 10.10.x.x to 10.128.x.x to fit into our new parent company.

Question: Should I do this change gradually or use a "lights out" (all at once) approach?

Current setup (Single domain Windows 2003 AD) with:
    2 AD servers (AD Server 1/AD Server 2)
    1 Back End Exchange Server 2003
    1 Front End Exchange Server 2003
    1 File Server
    10 printers
    50 clients/workstations (windows/linux/mac)

Method 1: Add all appropriate routes in network --> convert AD Server 2 (Secondary DNS, DHCP Scope 2, Secondary WINS) to new IP address scheme --> gradually move resources/clients (workstations/printers) over to new IP address scheme --> change AD Server 1 (Primary DNS, DHCP Scope 1, PrimaryWINS)--> change IP of Exchange Server/OWA --> deprecate old IP Scheme.

OR

Method 2: Change all IP addresses at the same time. Starting with Network --> change IP of AD server 1 (Primary DNS, DHCP Scope 1, Primary WINS) --> change IP of AD Server 2 (Secondary DNS, DHCP Scope 2, Secondary WINS) --> change IP of Exchange/OWA --> change all resources/clients (workstations/printers).

****Also, I need to set it up so clients are authenticated via MAC Address for DHCP.

Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide of doing this? What is the best practices for changing IP Scheme? I see a few postings on this matter but seems everyone has some sort of problem during the change.

Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Re: Changing IP Address Scheme for Windows Server 2003 AD - Gradually or All-At-Once?

or this way.

add the ip addresses for the new subnet as additional IP addresses to each of the servers.
    adjust the dhcp scope accordingly.
    selectively edit dns so that only the new scope addresses are registered for the servers
    remove the old addresses from the range on each server.

make sure, whatever you do, that you keep running ipconfig/registerdns to update dns as you change things

and remove any old records from dns as you find them - i did a cleanout on a client yesterday where th's been old company.com A records fhat are 3 years old, which explains why dfs was failing when we tried to connec tto \\company.com\dfs - we kept getting different addresses, and some servers won't part of the dfs
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Changing IP Address Scheme for Windows Server 2003 AD - Gradually or All-At-Once?

I would go for option 2, obviously with loads if planning beforehand. Also if using Natting, Don't forget to amend any relevant rules.
      As far as Mac whitelisting id concerned, take a look at this:http://www.petri.com/filter-mac-addr...allout-dll.htm
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
      X