No announcement yet.

RDC > 2000 RRAS > 2003 TS connectivity problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDC > 2000 RRAS > 2003 TS connectivity problem

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
    I've been called in by a friend to fix their business network but I'm not a Windows Server guru, so no suggestion is too lame.

=== NETWORK ===
    They have multiple remote locations connecting via VPN through a Win 2000 (5.00.2195 SP4) RRAS server.
    Originally they used VPN to remote connect to a Win 2000 Terminal Services server to run an application, but that server has since died.
    It's been replaced with a Win 2003 (V5.2 R2 SP2) TS server.
    There is a third server running Win 2000 (5.00.2195 SP4) which is the AD server.
    All machines are on a domain.

=== PROBLEM ===
    The problem is that they can no longer connect via RDC to the TS server. They have to connect to it so that they can run the application on the local network instead of from their location via the VPN due to other file resources.

The error message they receive when they try to RDC is:
    The client could not connect to the remote computer.
    Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections.

=== SYMPTOMS ===
    I can connect to the TS server from machines on the same local network (using the remote user's logon) so that seems to be working ok.
    The remote users can VPN in to the local network because they can still access files on a shared drive on the AD server.
    They can't ping any of the local servers and I can't ping their machines from here.
    I have temporarily disabled the Firewall on the TS server.

I tried setting up a NAT on the RRAS server to specifically forward port 3389 from one of the remote VPN connections to the TS server but this didn't fix the issue and stopped them being able to access the Shared Folder so I deleted it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Re: RDC > 2000 RRAS > 2003 TS connectivity problem

can you telnet to port 3389 on the Remote Desktop computer from the RRAS Server?

Can you ping the RDC from the VPN client ?
    Can you telnet to port 3389 on the RDC from the vpn client?

What changed ? If this used to work, something, somewhere, has changed (or got broken)
    sounds like routing, or ACLs, have broken somehow

what ip range is the internal network on, and what about the vpn network?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: RDC > 2000 RRAS > 2003 TS connectivity problem

Thanks for the reply tehcamel. I tried your suggestions and they helped confirm that it had nothing to do with network connectivity. I kept trying a number of things and the problem ended up being that I hadn't allowed the "Remote Users Group" access on the TS server itself (everything was configured correctly in AD).
      TS Config > Connections > Right-click "RDP-Tcp" > Properties
      The entry that was in there was for "local_machine\Remote Users Group" and not for the domain "Remote Users Group".