Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup host headers for Multiple sites in 2k3

Ok,

So I'm setting up my websites in a 2008 VM, and running a DNS server on a 2k3 box. I'm trying to setup the host headers correctly so that I don't have to run sites on different IPs.

Are there any guides for idiots on how to do this right?Thanks

Re: How to setup host headers for Multiple sites in 2k3

Originally posted by ihateiis View Post
    Ok,

So I'm setting up my websites in a 2008 VM, and running a DNS server on a 2k3 box. I'm trying to setup the host headers correctly so that I don't have to run sites on different IPs.

Are there any guides for idiots on how to do this right?Thanks
    Hi ihateiis,

If you are setting up multiple sites on the same box you have to used multiple IP addresses for each site to listen on. Then on your DNS your create the A records for your sites. Maybe someone else has more knowledge but this is how I have done things similar to what you want. See below for more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

Ryan

Comment

You don't have to use separate ip addresses. you can use host headers, as you mentioned in your question. Have a look here for the steps:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...95(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Joe wins the prize on this one since Server 2008 uses IIS7 and not IIS6 as in ryansmitty link. Nice try though ryan.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good work Joe.... I tip my hat to you... I over looked that it was 2008.

Ryan

Comment

Ryan, I undeleted your post because it had a useful link in it. While not pertinent to the OPs question in this case it does supply an answer to a question that would require that solution for multiple IPs. Hence post restored.

In the word of Agent 86, "Missed it by --> <-- much."

Keep up the good work Ryan. You never know when some info/link you supply leads onto an even more correct option.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for the pat on the pack! I have to say in trying to help I in turn learned something new.

Ryan

Comment

Host headers

Hey,

Does anyone have a guide or can tell me how to setup host headers in IIS and DNS correctly?

I failed a test today and I'm pretty bummed about it.

my msn messenger is helastofknights at hotmail dot com

Comment

Thanks to all who replied, I'm having a rough time with this for some reason. I don't know if I'm over thinking the entire process or I just read the wrong guides.

Comment

What part(s) are you having problems with?

Comment

Re: Host headers

You don't set up host headers in DNS, only in IIS. The process is basically the same in IIS 5 and IIS 6, but it's slightly different in IIS 7. Which version of IIS are you using?

Comment

ihateiis, ALL information about your question is to be discussed in this Forum and is not to be taken offline. This ensures that the information is shared with everyone that reads this thread.

Thanks.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ihateiis has created a new thread here Joe. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=51149
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Merged with other thread about host headers to avoid confusion
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Joe wins the prize on this one since Server 2008 uses IIS7 and not IIS6 as in ryansmitty link. Nice try though ryan.
                              and even so, RYan is wrong. You can run 30,000 sites on a single IP Address, all on port 80, provided you setup the host headesr correctly, which is what the OP wanted.

Basically, what you do is ensure all your sites are registered validly in the public dns system.
                              Then, for each site, you have to adjust the binding, so it listens on port 80, all IPs, and the correct hostname.

i will try and find a 2008 server I can take a look at today and get you full info on where to configure it
                              if i have time
                              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X