Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean removal of WSUS?

Hi all.

I am having a problem where I migrated a PC to another device. Everything seems to have migrated fine, except WSUS, so I tried uninstalling it, but I get the error that the uninstall failed because an error occurred. Yes I have googled, yes I have run the Office Cleanup Utility. The error persists. For some people the cleanup wizard does not solve the problem.

So now I need to know how to manually remove WSUS so that there is NO TRACE OF IT ANYWHERE. If there is not a way to do that, then please say so. There are a lot of hanging threads out there where people have had this problem and there is no resolution (that I can find) outside of the usual suspects.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

addendum: I followed the instructions at http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archi...l-of-wsus.aspx. This still does not solve the problem. First, the cleanup utility does NOT look like the screen shot in the article. I do not get a choice about which application to remove. I would VERY MUCH like to get a copy of THAT utility! All the registery entries it listed were removed, and all the services it said to delete existed and were deleted. Still, here am I unable to install WSUS because the dam MS installer still thinks WSUS is installed!
    Last edited by slylabs13; 4th November 2010, 19:16. Reason: addendum

Re: Clean up WSUS

- Have you tried reinstalling it? Repair using add/remove programs?
    - Is reformatting the system an option? Most companies can live a day without WSUS. You could reinstall the entire system from scratch, unless there is something else installed there you cannot touch.
    If all above is not for you, you may be still in luck:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archi...l-of-wsus.aspx

Please update us on progress

NOTE:
    The Cleanup Utility is no longer available on MS website.
    I got it once from here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-18442.html
    Last edited by venom83; 4th November 2010, 19:13. Reason: Link to Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility
    Regards,
    Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Re: Clean up WSUS

Split to new thread
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Clean removal of WSUS?

I've just installed this program and it looks exactly like on the screenshot.
        What is the operating system?
        Regards,
        Leonid

Comment

Hi Venom. Thanks for the help. I am using Windows Server 2003 SP2. I downloaded the file from the location you gave and ran it. I also began looking through the registry and deleting anything containing WSUS, but of course the entries are so voluminous that it is hours upon hours of registry deletions just to kill it.

As an aside, what would be HUGELY INFORMATIVE if anyone knows, is just exactly WHAT is the WSUS 3 installer LOOKING FOR that makes it THINK WSUS 3 is still installed? Anyone from Microsoft wanna chime in on this??

That being said, no I cannot tear down this server and rebuild it easily. I am running the primary AD server here, as well as file and print sharing services. It is also my primary DNS. Yes I have a "Backup DC" but I am not willing to go through the process of promotion and what have you. I am thinking I should not have to. I should be able to simply "get rid of" whatever it is that is giving the installer a false positive. Better yet, Microsoft should have fixed this dam installer! Everyone who uninstalls WSUS has this problem!

Okay now that I am done ranting, the installer is now giving me the error: "Command line parameters not valid". I am not running this from the command line, so I assume it is starting a silent session behind the scenes as it were. If that is the case then I have no access to the parameters, and cannot resolve this. I will poke around the internet about this error.

Comment

Okay I found another thread which talked about a missing registry entry, and after restoring that I am back to where I started which is I am getting the error that an error occurred while trying to uninstall WSUS.

So back to my original question, what is causing the installer to THINK WSUS 3 is installed, when in fact it is not? What do I have to get rid of? BTW I did follow the manual removal instructions in the link you posted before I ever made this post. That did not work either. There is a piece of WSUS floating around somewhere in the OS and reinstalling the OS because a component from Microsoft buggered it up is not my idea of a fun time.

Now my problem is I have a downstream server that was getting it's updates from this one, and that server is not getting the updates now (of course) so I really, really want to get this back up and running.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. If anyone knows for sure that it is impossible now to resolve, I'd like to know that too. I would seriously consider at that point getting rid of all my Windows servers and going with some flavor of Linux. I've been doing this for a lot of years now and this is not the first time MS has hosed it's own stuff and offered not one bit of help to fix it, barring of course, the very helpful people on this forum.

Comment

I looked into the log file the installer creates when trying to uninstall, and it is trying to connect to the SQL server presumably to remove the instance, and it is failing, of course, because as I mentioned in the original post, SQL Server did not migrate with everything else when I imported the old PC into Parallels. When I looked in add/remove programs, the old SQL 2000 express was not even installed in the new server!

I DID install MS SQL 2005 Express with advanced options before all of this hoping to fool the installer into going ahead with the install, but apparently the old SQL and the new SQL are totally incompatible (ran into this before in another instance).

So given that there is no instance of WSUS running on the SQL server, is it possible to trick the installer into installing without trying to uninstall? I ought to be able to install over the top of anything that was there before, shouldn't I? Is WSUS 3 SP 2 even compatible with SQL 2005?

Comment

"• You must have one of the following supported databases installed:
                • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, Standard, or Enterprise Edition
                • SQL Server 2005 SP2
                • Windows Internal Database
                If one of the supported versions of SQL Server is not installed, the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Setup Wizard will install Windows Internal Database."
                From Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Release Notes, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

As for the error "Command line parameters not valid": empty temp folders on the server, including windows\temp and userprofile\local settings\temp. Look into the install log for hints about this problem. Last, but not least, use process monitor from Sysinternals. If you can't find anything wrong, I would do an install on a new server or even a VM and record the process from beginning with process monitor until the "next" button appears. Then compare the two lists: from the old server that gives you error and the new one. Look for what's changed. Use filtering, otherwise you'll get too much data.

Hope this helps.
                Regards,
                Leonid

Comment

Hi all.

Well finally I got through this. I was able to get the Windows Cleanup Utility to run, so that the installer no longer thought WSUS was already installed. I had to uninstall and reinstall IIS 6 with ASP enabled as well.

In retrospect I think I know why all this went awry. I was using the Windows Internal Database, and it was located on an external drive. To import a PC into a Parallels instance, you have to disconnect any external drives that are too big to import, otherwise Parallels will try to import those too! So I did. Well that was where the WSUS internal database was stored, so the import apparently failed for that component, but because WSUS had never been uninstalled, the OS thought it was still there.

I think the moral for this story is, if you are going to migrate WSUS to another server, (or any SQL based app for that matter) it's probably better to just backup your data and uninstall it before the migration, and then do a clean install on the other side.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X