Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to RDP to server 2003 but can connect with VNC to it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to RDP to server 2003 but can connect with VNC to it.

Hi

I have been getting this problem on my a few of my servers the last couple of weeks. The server is on but I cannot connect to it with a remote desktop connection. I can however ping the server and connect it using VNC and i can log on to the server from the VMware Infrastructure Console.

I have checked that the firewall is disabled, Remote desktop is allowed. I added the remote desktop exception to the firewall as well.

My user account is part of the remote desktop users and domain admins group. If I restart the server I can connect to it using RDP but only for a few days.

Any suggestions for what I should be doing ?

Regards
    Dewalt Kotze

Re: Unable to RDP to server 2003 but can connect with VNC to it.

well, what errors do you get ?
    what do the event logs say?
    what os are you running?
    is it fully patched?
    have you recently sacrificed any goats?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The error I am getting when trying to RDP to the server is : Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1)remote access to the server is not enabled : I have enabled it.
      2)The Remote computer is turned off : I can ping it, connect with VNC and at the console so it's not off.
      3)the remote computer is not available on the network : well I can ping it so it's there.

No errors in the event log regarding RDP or terminal services.

OS is server 2003 SP2 R2 and all the latest updates have been installed, oh yeah not goats either

Comment

try the following, from your workstation, then from the server itsellf

telnet to port 3389 on the machine in question.
        what happens ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I get an error when trying to connect to the port from my pc and from the server. Strange because if I reboot the server I will be able to connect via RDP, and all the exception are added to the firewall settings.

Let me check my GPO for the servers if there is something strange there. Anything else you can suggest ?

Comment

run netstat -an | find "3389" on the particular server to see if the server is actually listening to the port 3389.
            Else it might that the Terminal server service or whatever that service is exactly called was stopped or needed a restart.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You may also have too many disconnected sessions on the servers you are trying to RDP into. You say that a reboot clears the issue. Reboots would clear the disco sessions.

Next time you have the issue, Start > Run > tsadmin from a server. Then "connect" to a server that you cannot RDP into and see if you have too many sessions (disco'ed or otherwise). In Remote Mode, you are only allowed 2 RDP sessions. Once those are used, you will not be able to connect.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithForm View Post
                You may also have too many disconnected sessions on the servers you are trying to RDP into. You say that a reboot clears the issue. Reboots would clear the disco sessions.

Next time you have the issue, Start > Run > tsadmin from a server. Then "connect" to a server that you cannot RDP into and see if you have too many sessions (disco'ed or otherwise). In Remote Mode, you are only allowed 2 RDP sessions. Once those are used, you will not be able to connect.
                Nah - this won't actually prevent connections, at least not in my experience.

I'm with Dumber on this one - check Netstat, see if something is using port 3389.

Else, you may have a problem with your Terminal Server service, and might need to restart it more often.
                what other applications and/or services are installed on this computer?

Comment

Hi

I checked the Netstat and no instances of port 3389 came up.

I did some more reading and found some stuff about terminal services. On one of the severs giving me the problem, terminal services is installed on a per device license. I changed it from per device to per user and I was able to RDP to the server. When I changed it back to per device I culd not RDP anymore. So it clearly looks to me like the TS license has expired.

I removed TS so "remote desktop for administration" was being used and I could RDP to the server once again.

Now the other server with the same problem is already setup to use "remote desktop for administration" I am sure if I add the TS on a per device basis, RDP will work again, but only for the 120 days which you get if you don't buy a terminal service license for the server.

Not really sure what to do from here on. Should I install the TS and then remove it again to see if that fixes the problem ?

Thanks

Comment

wait and see what happens, because to be honest, I've never seen servers without licenses just STOP listening.

it should still liten, but just tell you when you try and logon that you have no licenses

Comment

I agree with tehcamel ...

When TS Licenses expire, it will just show as a warning.
                      MCITP: EA

Comment

Working...
                      X