Reformat Windows 7 to Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformat Windows 7 to Server 2003

We have purchased several machines which have Windows 7 pre-installed.

I ran diskmanager and Toshiba has two extra partitions on the drive: one is a small recovery partition and the other is a system partition. The third partition listed is C :\ marked as active and primary.

I tried booting from the WIndows Server 2003 CD and I get about 10 minutes into the install and the machine blue screens.

Solution???

1: boot with a third party partition tool and blow away the C:\ drive and re-boot with the Windows 2003 server cd?

Any suggestions on a free, partition tool, folks?

Should I keep the 2 manufacturers partitions? What's the ramifications of deleting them with the third party tool.

I know there is probably an obvious solution but I want to make sure before I blow any partitions that I need away.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

PJ

Re: Reformat Windows 7 to Server 2003

Windows 7 offers the option to boot off a VHD (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...vhd+boot&meta=) which would give you an option instead of booting from a partition
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian...

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean.

I have a bootable Windows 2003 installation set of CDs. I don't have a Windows 7 CD.

Bootable VHD? I am trying to wipe Windows 7 from the C drive and replace it with Windows Server 2003.

Thanks.

Comment

at install u need to go to drive options (advanced) there u can format the c:\

if u choose to format all partitions then choose drive options again, delete the other partitions, expand c:\ <-important part, then select drive c and click next to begin install.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Do you mean installation of Windows 7 or Server 2003? Assume you mean the latter.

Problem is I never get far into the Server 2003 install before it blue screens. I can't get to the format option

thanks.

Comment

Format it with the windows 7 disk (if u have it) after its formatted then install server 2003.
            When installing 2003 server, at the choose partition to install, if u delete the c:\ partition, then create a partition with the unused space, then go to install on there, how far does that get?
            Last edited by uk_network; 21st October 2010, 14:56.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Ultimate Boot CD contains all kinds of partioning tools, and it's free. I use it to delete troublesome partitions and run diagnostics on suspect disks.

Comment

Don't forget you may need SATA drivers so Server 2003 can "find" the HDD.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just a note, not that I think you care at this point, but if you delete that petiton Toshiba will no longer offer you support on the computer. I also believe it invalidates the OEM license, as that partition is your CD, and a OEM license is only valid with the "CD" that it came with.

Yes, I know, they are stupid laws, and Yes, I have confirmed that with both Toshiba (about the not supporting if partiton removed) and MS (OEM software must be installed using the orignal shipped media.).

But, it does not sound like you really care about that point.

I would blow it away, never know when having a drive petitoned might cause you a problem.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Check BIOS, there should be some options for Vista/Windows 7 features ...

There is also a problem installing Windows XP after Windows 7.

Cheers
                    MCITP: EA

Comment

Working...
                    X