No announcement yet.

Steps to move secondard DNS server but keep IP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps to move secondard DNS server but keep IP

Hi Guys,

Currently I have a secondary DNS server which I need to decomission as it has some hardware problems so I just want to check some things first. Here is my current setup.

OLDDC1 - (primary DNS)
    OLDDC2 - (secondary DNS)
    NEWDC1 - (new primary)
    NEWDC2 - (new secondary)

Now, all servers are running fine and I have DNS also running on the new DCs AD integrated, and changs made on the primary DC replicate round fine.

For now I just want to replace OLDDC2 with NEWDC2 but keeping the OLDDC2 address because lots of clients and systems have the IP's hard coded. What would my steps be?

1. Change OLDDC2 IP to something else
    2. Run ipconfig /registerdns on OLDDC2 so new address updates
    3. Change NEWDC2 IP to OLDDC2 IP
    4. Run ipconfig /registerdns on NEWDC2 so address updates to reflect olddc2 IP address
    Would that be it? Any length of time I should wait between all those steps if thats correct?

Re: Steps to move secondard DNS server but keep IP

I think you will have to check all the records that u put there urself that wasnt done automatically throught dynamic update like MX records and host records or alias/cname ect ect

also this is worth a read
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.