• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIS client not picking up IP address from DHCP Server

For all the RIS experts out there.

Windows 2000 Server SP4.
    1024MB RAM
    90GB on RIS drive with 20GB free space

I have recently installed a RIS server in our network. My DHCP server is authorised in AD. My images have been uploaded to the server.

When i try to connect a client using either the PXE enabled onboard ethernet adapter or the Remote Installation Disk (created using rbfg.exe) i can't pick up an IP address.

When using a network boot floppy i pick up an IP address no problem.

The DHCP scope has over 100 addresses spare. I even created a reservation for my laptop but it still failed to pick up an address.

Anyone got any ideas.

Re: RIS client not picking up IP address from DHCP Server

Have you authorized RIS in AD (the same way you authorize a DHCP server)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

The RIS server and DHCP server are one and the same. I'm sure i read that if they are on the same server then you don't need to authorise it.

I've picked up an IP address twice but it is very inconsistent, takes multiple attempts to even get the address. When i do get an address it does take me through the RIS screens to the point where i can get an image.

I am starting to lean towards a bottleneck somewhere that is slowing the packets thus a timeout occurs between the client and the DHCP server.

I'm just going to move the client onto the same switch as the server.

Comment

What type of network switch you using? Have you tried turning off spanning tree protocol and enabling port fast?

To get around this we use a small NetGear 5 port switch and every PC we use gets an IP address almost straight away.

EDIT: After re-reading your second post it does sound like an STP problem. We use Cisco switches here and depending on their age will determine if they have STP enabled or not!
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
          What type of network switch you using? Have you tried turning off spanning tree protocol and enabling port fast?

To get around this we use a small NetGear 5 port switch and every PC we use gets an IP address almost straight away.

EDIT: After re-reading your second post it does sound like an STP problem. We use Cisco switches here and depending on their age will determine if they have STP enabled or not!
          I am just running through the switch at the moment.

I'll post back results.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys

It turned out to be as tonyyeb said STP was enabled on the switch. I transferred the cabling to the other switch we have and it worked perfectly, in fact i'm RIS'ing a machine now.

Thanks tonyyeb for pointing me in the direction.

Comment

No problem wullieb1. Glad to hear it is working for you
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Mods,

This can be closed now as it is all running

Thanks to all

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555477
                  Last edited by yuval14; 13th October 2005, 13:13.
                  Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Nice atricle m8.

Will come in handy for others.

Comment

Working...
                    X