Removing global Catalogue from AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing global Catalogue from AD

Is it possible to remove the global catalogue from AD PDC (One with FSMO roles) and move it onto two other AD servers?

Basically we are getting some high availability software installed which replicates data from one server to another and then changes DNS to point ot the fail over server if the main server fails. The problem is that the software doesn't like to replicate from a server with the global catalogue.

Before you all say that we should'nt have DC's with software / files share / printers etc on I have suggested that we get two new servers that soley run AD, DNS, DHCP etc and demote the rest but it's not my choice.

Anyone know if this is possible then?

Servers are windows 2000

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Removing global Catalogue from AD

> The problem is that the software doesn't like to replicate from a server with the global catalogue.

Are you sure that it will accept a DC? I can see no reason why it would except a DC, but not a GC. Unless that software made the bad choice to use the GC port?

You can certainly designate other DC's to be a GC. In fact, in a single-domain forest, all DC's should be a GC for highest redundancy

> then changes DNS to point ot the fail over server if the main server fails.

! Don't do that with DC's! It will kill replication! This really sounds like this software CANNOT run on a DC.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo

! Don't do that with DC's! It will kill replication! This really sounds like this software CANNOT run on a DC.
      Yip - my concerns as well but it's not my choice. The software is called high availability from Computer Associates. They advise that it it shouldn't be used on a DC but it can run.

I think my manager has been informed wrong but I think he still wants to go ahead with it. Looks like it's going to be a long night for me

Cheers for the info

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
        I'll second that ! Do NOT use any external clustering/high-availability/imaging/disk-replication software on DCs !
        You could easily run with those apps into VERY nasty situations like schema corruption, USN rollbacks, broken replication, inconsistent/partial replication, etc...

DCs are already highly available the moment you have more than one DC/GC.

It sounds like the software you are talking about is doing disk-level replication. I suggest you goole for "USN rollbacks" to find out why this is VERY BAD for DCs...
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
        X