No announcement yet.

Cleaning Servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Servers

Hi Guys,
    I need to my servers, Disk clean up, defrag and anything else which can help speed up my DC's etc. Im thinking this needs to be done by script as i have about 30 servers. How does everyone else do this? what do people recommand as a strategy?

Thanks Guys.

Re: Cleaning Servers

You have 30 servers and you would like to proform maintenance(Chkdsk, backup, defrag) on all of them.

First off, I would devied the servers into those can be automated(file Servers, print servers), and those that can not (production servers that do not have a bare metal recovery plan, exchange servers, SQL servers).

For those that can be automated, its easy. You can just create a batch file and start it running on all of those computers, just remember to do anything to the C drive, you should restart and do it with windows offline, so that it can dismount the drive.

For the rest, I would do them by hand, as errors can occur if you Defrag a drive with Exchange database on it. It might also be worth doing the offline maintenance of the exchange servers while you are there, just beware, the offline defrag can take quite some time, and you should plan for it. About 6GB a hour.

SQL Servers are basiclly the same as Exchange servers, be overly careful of the databases, dont do anything to them unless you have a few backups.

I have linked some sites that give more details info on backing up each type of server. <-- 2003 Best Prac

I would highly recommend not automating it unless you already know how to do it manully, maintenance on 30 servers should not take you longer then a weekend (if you can run more then one at a time). If you can not offline all the servers at once, i would just pick 1 a day, and do it that way. Each month all your servers will have there maintenance do on them.

Also, Please make sure that you have a valid backup of all servers, I would also take a image of the servers before you start this for bare metal recovery. Things normally brake when you try to fix them.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
    IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

As you specifically mentioned DCs, note that defragmenting the OS using an incarnation of dfrg.msc does not defragment the Active Directory database. Defragging the NTDS.DIT file is done via ntdsutil and requires booting into directory services restore mode.

I wouldn't even contemplate defragging the Exchange stores unless you are in absolute dire need of the space. Even then you are unlikely to get much back. It's not like the pre-SP2 days of Exchange 2003 where it was practically a weekly task for some of the people I dealt with.

Disk Cleanup I also don't really trust, it's an emergency quick fix at best for me, as the wizard never tells you what it's compressing and what criteria it uses.

Defragging the hard drives might help a bit, but generally it's only on servers with a high file turnover that'll benefit the most e.g. file and print servers.

It might help if you told us what sort of servers you have and what you are looking to gain though.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        Cruachan's Blog

Thanks guys,
          We have exchange, File servers, a VM cluster, Citrix boxes print boxes etc. Basically just need to have a good maintenance schedule going on these boxes for audit purposes and for piece of mind.

Martina, are you the same person as Ginger9991 -- if so, please tell us which account we should keep and the other one will be dropped
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **