Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Browser - System Error 6118

Hi,

I've been having a network problem for the past 2 weeks, we've been unable to browse the network via My Network Places.

If we do net view from cmd we get: System Error 6118

If I do go via My Network Places and go to our domain I get a error: <Domain> is not accessable, You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.

All servers have been reset, there's nothing in event viewer, all servers are 2003 R2, we are a domain of about 500 network devices.

There is a MS KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305/) on this which we've read through and tried but nothings worked, has anyone else ran into this problem, any other suggestions.
    Last edited by itian; 15th October 2010, 23:36.

Re: Computer Browser - System Error 6118

Does the server have 2 network cards and one isnt been used?
    windows firewalls or someting else all off, nothing to be blocking it?
    Also did u check event log through all errors, maybe there are others relating to the problem that will give u more info.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Is this from a single computer, or all of them?
      Just from your User, or all of them?

Do you have the Computer Browser and Server Services running on your servers?

I am assuming that the rest of your network stuff is still working, if thats the case, can you telnet to the other computers (Ie, form SOME form of 2 way communication between them).

I would get a port scanner and make sure that the correct ports are open between your work station and the servers.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

this is from all workstations and servers.

Computer Browser and Server Services running on your servers - yes

Other communication is fine, no problems at all.

I've read that I should disable the Computer Browser on all workstations, i've done that still getting error.
        Last edited by itian; 23rd October 2010, 01:38.

Comment

check for firewalls. disable all the firewalls, try again.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

No firewalls are on

Comment

Is it possible that you have the Computer Browser service started on other computers in the environment? If you are running Win 7, there may be browser elections going on. If that is the case, the Win 7 workstations may be winning the elections and promoting themselves as Master Browser(s).

There two MS tools that will help in troubleshooting this: browmon.exe and browstat.exe. They are both found in the Windows NT 4.0 Server Resource Kit.

Use both of those. They will reveal a lot of useful troubleshooting info.

Comment

Downloaded them tools..........they seem to give the same error messages, im running out of ideas now

Comment

Working...
                X