Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

    I'm having a bit of problem... at the children's hospital where I work (Beit Cure Hospital in Blantyre, Malawi), we're using a 4 year old Dell PowerEdge 1800 tower server. About two years ago, we started getting lines down the screen. Tried new cables and monitor, but that didn't help at all. Apparently it's the graphics chip going bad. About two months ago, it got a lot worse, to the point that you can barely do anything on the server.

    Up to now, I had been using Remote Desktop, but apparently we don't have a terminal server license, so that's expired. Tried VNC, but it seems to capture the graphics output, so it shows the lines too.

    I spoke with Dell US support and they said that the BIOS disables any PCI-X or PCI graphics cards upon booting. Is this true? Should I just buy a card to see if it works? I've got AGP cards, but not PCI.

    Is there any other remote desktop software I could use? Or should I go ahead and just get a one-seat Terminal Server CAL?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

    You do not need TS licenses to RDP to a Server OS (or any OS other then a TS). You can only have 2 connections (3 if oyu use the console connection) at any point in time.

    As long as port 3389 is fowarded to the server, and the server has the remote access option enabled, and you have remote access premission to the server (Domain admin, or Remote Admin), then you just need to open MSTSC, and connect to the server. No licenses needed.

    Wofen
    Good to be back....

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

      Logging in remotely worked fine until that 120 day trial of terminal services expired. Now when I log in (with the same account that used to work), it says that I have to be a member of the Terminal Server User Access group. Should I just uninstall Terminal Services as a role?

      Seth

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

        I am alittle confused here, but I believe I am doing it too myself.
        Please read the linked article and see if this helps.

        http://www.petri.com/enable_rdp_windows_2003.htm

        Also, can you please confirm that you are a member of the Domain admin group (or higher)?
        Can you please confirm that port 3389 (or a forwarded port) is open and pointing to the server you wish to connect to.
        Go to a windows XP computer, Go, start, Run, type "MSTSC" press enter.
        In host name, type the name of the server, press connect.

        That should get you connected to your server.

        You only ever need to get TS cals when you have USERS connecting to the server, not ADMINS (well, 2 admins are allowed on at one time).

        TS Cals are expensive and should not be needed.

        Please post again if you are having more problems, as I believe this can be setup via a reg file, if you are happy to recieve a file that changes your reg from a complete stranger.

        Wofen
        Good to be back....

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

          Yes, it's the main Admin account. I'm just wondering that if having Terminal Services installed (as an expired trial) is confusing it.

          I can connect to the server fine, I get a login screen and all that (so I don't think the port is being blocked), but it still says I need Terminal Server User Access permission.

          Feel free to send the reg file through. I'll check it before I merge it. :_)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

            Originally posted by umiwangu View Post
            Yes, it's the main Admin account. I'm just wondering that if having Terminal Services installed (as an expired trial) is confusing it.

            I can connect to the server fine, I get a login screen and all that (so I don't think the port is being blocked), but it still says I need Terminal Server User Access permission.

            Feel free to send the reg file through. I'll check it before I merge it. :_)
            Well, the reg file will just enable everything that you already have.

            Yes you will need to remove that role before you can proceed. Once that is removed, and the server restarted you should be able to connect without a problem.

            If you are still having problems when thats removed, I say we look at using a different RDP client/server.

            Wofen

            PS: I will be online for the next 6 hours or so, but getting more nad more drunk as the time goes by. This is my warning :P
            Last edited by Wofen; 15th October 2010, 07:41. Reason: muh
            Good to be back....

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

              Originally posted by Wofen View Post
              Well, the reg file will just enable everything that you already have.

              Yes you will need to remove that role before you can proceed. Once that is removed, and the server restarted you should be able to connect without a problem.

              If you are still having problems when thats removed, I say we look at using a different RDP client/server.

              Wofen

              PS: I will be online for the next 6 hours or so, but getting more nad more drunk as the time goes by. This is my warning :P
              Thanks for the warning. So what time is it over there? It's about 9am over here, and I'm working on a holiday (Mother's Day).

              Anyway, it was the Terminal Server role that was confusing it. Removed the role, rebooted, re-enabled Remote Access, and voila!

              Thank you for the help and the patience. Have a great weekend.

              Edit: the forum's timeout is very short... I need to re-login almost each time I reply.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                Just tick the "remember me" box
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                  Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Just tick the "remember me" box
                  Duh. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                    I am glad it all worked out.

                    I arrived home to a black out... so sorry about not being online, but luckly I was not needed.

                    Wofen
                    Good to be back....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                      Which ver. of operation system are you using on the Dell server??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                        Originally posted by Alehva View Post
                        Which ver. of operation system are you using on the Dell server??
                        Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Ed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                          Does this Dell have a DRAC in it? As I do believe it has its own on board video chips, so you should be able the manage the server with the drac. That way you can get into the bios and everything.

                          Failing that, you can get USB 1 computer "KVM's" that allow you to slave to laptops screen, keyboard nad mouse to a server. Not 100% sure what graphics chip it uses.

                          Just thinking of some idea for when you need to access something out of windows.

                          Wofen
                          Good to be back....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Dying PowerEdge 1800 graphics card - Remote Desktop Solution?

                            Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                            Does this Dell have a DRAC in it? As I do believe it has its own on board video chips, so you should be able the manage the server with the drac. That way you can get into the bios and everything.

                            Failing that, you can get USB 1 computer "KVM's" that allow you to slave to laptops screen, keyboard nad mouse to a server. Not 100% sure what graphics chip it uses.

                            Just thinking of some idea for when you need to access something out of windows.

                            Wofen
                            I have no idea... How can I tell if it has a DRAC?

                            Would a KVM work for this? I think it's the graphics card (generating the graphics output) that's failing, so even if we had a KVM, it would just re-route the graphics output to a different monitor. The base graphics output would still be scrambled though...

                            I do like the idea of a DRAC. If there's not one installed, I wonder if we can purchase one?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X