Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 DNS Errors Event ID 5774 & Event ID 11165

Morning Guys,

I've been using an old 2003 Server decomissioned from the office at home for a few years to run a basic domain and file shares etc, DHCP & DNS were left on the router, I didn't see the need for the server to run them, and the server isn't always powered on...

Anyway, recently I've noticed a lot of errors in the event vewer with regards to DNS, I've eventually decided to do something about it. For the last few days I've been trying to work out whats actually wrong but I'm a little confused with it seeing as DNS server isn't even installed...! Also I have no idea why it's trying to update an external DNS server...?!

Any idea how i might be able to get to the bottom of this??

Many thanks

Dave

Event ID 5774
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record 'myserver.net' 600 IN A 172.16.1.10' Failed on the following DNS server:

DNS server IP address 217.160.82.168
    Returned Resonse Code (RCODE): 5
    Returned Status Code: 9017

For computers and users to locate this domain controller, this record must be registered in DNS.

USER ACTION
    Determine what might have caused this failure, resolve the problem, and initiate registration of the DNS records by the domain controller. To determine what might have caused this failure, run DCDiag.exe. You can find this program on the Windows Server 2003 installation CD in Support\Tools\support.cab. To learn more about DCDiag.exe, see Help and Support Center. To initiate registration of the DNS records by this domain controller, run 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or restart Net Logon service. Nltest.exe is available in the Microsoft Windows Server Resource Kit CD. Or, you can manually add this record to DNS, but it is not recommended.

ADDITIONAL DATA
    Error Value: DNS bad key.

Event ID 11165

The system failed to register host (A) resource records for the network adapter with these settings:

Adapter Name: {D41DD5AC-1452-4EF5-8865-409B1F13B168}
    Host Name: myserver
    Primary Domain Suffix: myserver.net
    DNS server list: 208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222
    Sent update to server: 217.160.82.168
    IP Address(es): 172.16.1.10

The reason the system could not update these RR's was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server authorititive for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your network administrator.

Was your 2003 server properly removed from the old domain. If it was a DC, have you done a metadata cleanup in case old references are still in place. It may be that there is old DNS configuration info that is causing the issue you see.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
    X