Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Server

Windows 2003

I have one computer as a domain controller that is running active directory, internal dns and dhcp. The fqdn is SERVER1.premierhomes.local.

I setup another computer EXCHANGE1 that will join this domain. This computer will host exchange, iis6, and external dns. I have a registered name server with internic called ns1.premierhomes.com with a public IP.

My question is that anytime I create a new dns zone it creates a soa record with FQDN of exchange1.premierhomes.local and a NS record as exchange1.premierhomes.local. I need to change the default information to reflect the real FQDN which is ns1.premierhomes.com. What should I do? How will this affect my exchange server.

Regards
    Safdar

Re: DNS Server

Why do you want to host external DNS??

Would it not be easier to setup forwarders for your existing DNS servers??

Comment

Maybe I should say a dns server which forwaders is already configured to my isp. My main concern is the third paragraph. "My question is that anytime I create a new dns zone it creates a soa record with FQDN of exchange1.premierhomes.local and a NS record as exchange1.premierhomes.local. I need to change the default information to reflect the real FQDN which is ns1.premierhomes.com. What should I do? How will this affect my exchange server."

Thank you
      Safdar

Comment

> I need to change the default information to reflect the real FQDN which is ns1.premierhomes.com

Why? Seems a strange requirement.

I don't think it can by done without breaking stuff, btw.

Comment

As has been said previosly you can't change it. Your DNS has been setup as domain.local and this will be the suffix for your domain. If you really want to change it then you will need to rebuild your domain.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
            As has been said previosly you can't change it. Your DNS has been setup as domain.local and this will be the suffix for your domain. If you really want to change it then you will need to rebuild your domain.
            Uhm. I don't think anybody mentioned a domain rename here?

My impression here is that there is a misunderstanding about the role of the NS records, which is why I'm asking about the requirement of changing them.

Comment

Are there any consequences if I change the SOA and NS to ns1.premierhomes.com

Comment

Yes. Tell you what, you answer my question, I answer yours.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                  Uhm. I don't think anybody mentioned a domain rename here?

My impression here is that there is a misunderstanding about the role of the NS records, which is why I'm asking about the requirement of changing them.

Thats what i get for not reading the question properly.

I still can't understand why you need to change the records though. If someone else is hosting the records for your external domain name then leave them where they are.

I am presuming you have a Forward Lookup Zone called premierhomes.com??

Comment

I am hosting all the records for my 8 websites. I have two name servers Pri (ns1.premierhomes.com) and (sec) dns1.premierkisismmee.com. I am creating Primary forward lookup zones on the domain exchange1.premierhomes.local for all the websites.

Comment

Where are these name servers??

Comment

In my office and is registered with networksolutions.com

Comment

I still have no answer to my question... oh well.

You DO NOT need to change the NS records for the AD zones. There is just no need. It won't do any good, simply because AD always uses an internal namespace.

Now we got that out of the way, do you still see a reason why you want to modify the NS records for AD?

Comment

Working...
                          X