Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Server, File Server, Access Permission: Windows 2003 Server

Hi Guys,

I'm using windows 2003 Std Edition. I have AD and DNS already Satup on the server and more than 40 PC's are login to that Domain.

In current case, whenever someone share a file anyone in the Domain can see that file, unless it's protected with a Password.

Is there any solution to keep for each department different Access Leve. Like if someone from the Stock Dept, can't c the files which are shared in another dept?

For the File Server, if it's configured as a Open File Server, and one Folder is assined for that Shares. If I enter that folder and create my own folder inside for my documents, now whenever is there anyone can c it. Is there any idea to let that user who has created his folder only him can c it? Other's will not c and will not be able to open his folder?

Print Server: How can I make a Print Server Service and let others using the Printer there? In the exisiting situation all the printers are shared via another Workstation, but the disadvantages in this is if the Workstation goes down the whole department will stop using that printer.

This can be done via a Print Server attached to the Printer and configured with IP addeess.

Is there any chance of using this feature in Windows 2003 Server ?

Thanks,

Habibalby
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Re: Print Server, File Server, Access Permission: Windows 2003 Server

file server:

1. create a folder called data at the root of the logical drive.
    2. in data create a folder per department and create groups in AD for each of the department folders. make it one group with "read&execute" permissions and one group with "modify" permissions.
    3. add the users from the departments to the respective groups.
    4. you might want to share those department folders so users can automatically have them mapped via logon script.

after that you can still create subfolders in each department folder and assign permissions as needed. usually not everybody in one department is allowed to see everything from the department.
    best thing to do is to let the department management come up with a list of who needs to have what kind of access to which folder. the rest is just a matter of managing groups and ntfs permissions.

print server:

1. reserve an IP for the printer in DHCP using the MAC address of the printer
    2. install the printer as a local printer on the server
    3. share it with a name
    4. let the users install it on their workstations using the name you have shared the printer with. the drivers will be automatically downloaded from the server to the client.

you can then also assign permissions who may print or at what time.
    it is also a good idea to give a couple of halfway technical users permissions to manage documents on the printer. that way they can delete stuck print jobs from other users and won't bug you every time there is a print job stuck in the queue.
    Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Thanks Chris for your reply. FOr the Login Script do I have to creat a Script or just Map Folder to be a Drive in My Computer?

For the Print Server, do I have to install the Printer in the Server also? I think will use Print Server attached to each Printer better.
      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Originally posted by habibalby
        FOr the Login Script do I have to creat a Script or just Map Folder to be a Drive in My Computer?.
        the best way is to do it from a central location. so, create a script which you store on the netlogon share on your domain controler and which contains all the mappings you need. the mappings shoud be triggered by group membership. for example, if a user is member of the sales group then he gets the sales share mapped to drive S:
        then edit the account properties of the users to run this script at logon to the domain.

Originally posted by habibalby
        For the Print Server, do I have to install the Printer in the Server also? I think will use Print Server attached to each Printer better.
        not sure what you mean here.
        Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

I mean TCP/IP Print Server that will be connected in the LAN and then configure the Client P.C to print via that P.Server.
          Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Is there a tools to create a logon Script ?

Thanx,
            Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

no not really besides things like notepad...
              Scripting is not really an automated process.. you need to write it down by hand. although there are really a lot of scripting examples (see the scripting forum)
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank u, I'm gonna c there.

Habibalby
                Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Don't know whether you've had any luck, but the following has been working fine for me:

create a bat file on notepad, e.g.: map.bat and type:
                  c:
                  net use Z: \\server\share
                  c:
                  rename_drive.vbs
                  exit

create a vbs on notepad, e.g.: rename_drive.vbs and type:
                  mDrive = "Z"
                  Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
                  oShell.NameSpace(mDrive).Self.Name = "Whatever name"

Put both files in the sysvol folder of the OU you are applying it. Then just add map.bat to the logon script. It will work great.

Hope this helps.

Comment

hi mate,

yes it works. when I put the both files into the
                    Code:
                    C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\domain
                    • mab.dat
                      rename_drive.vbs

Data Folder inside the
                    Code:
                     C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\domain
                    But how about if I want to make Grouping by Dept and allocate for each Department Different Drive ?

Thanks

habibalby
                    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Well,

dunno whether this is the best option, but what I personally do is to put the bat + vbs file on the Logon Script option within each OU GPO and edit them accordingly. Therefore you will have a GPO for each OU or Sub-OU with both files.
                      Again maybe that's not the wisest option but it works great on 2 small networks I administer.

Hope that helps...

Comment

k, in ur network u are having same as what I'm going to do. Each Dept has it's own GPO?
                        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Yes exactly.

Hope this has helped you.

Comment

k, for each department saperate GPO made by Group Policy management?

What is the best practice to deal with the GPO? Is it by Creating OU in the AD, Users and Computers as follows;

Domain >> Organization >> Departments >> Accounts >> Purchasing >> Transporation >> HR >> Admin >> Management ect. ..

Then, inside each Dept is another two OU users & Computers that belongs to the department ?

And for each Oganization Unit >Right Click >> Properties >>Group Policy Tab >> Open Button >> Group Policy management will Open, Right Click on Left Pane OU such as Accounts >> Create and Link a GPO Here New GPO Name will Promot and will name Accounts as per the OU. >> Then Right Click on the Accounts GPO >> Edit >> Group Policy Object Editor will appear to Edit the GPO belongs to that OU ??

Is this the right way for creating a GPO for each Department ?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                            Last edited by habibalby; 12th October 2005, 17:50.
                            Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Yes, create a GPO for each dept.

Everything that is in common you edit on GPO DEPT, particular settings that you want to apply to specific depts, creat a new GPO and edit it, e.g., Sales GPO to map a sales drive, MKT GPO to map a different drive + setup a wallpaper, whatever...

You are in the right track....

Hope this helps

Cheers!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X