No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 DNS not working

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 DNS not working

I am about to get a customer who has an SBS 2003 network where the SBS installation was never finished. I think somene stopped at the first CD because there is an icon on the desktop to continue with the SBS 2003 R2 installation. The Server Management icon does not launch the SBS console.

All 15 of tehir XP clinets can connect and browse the shares on the server. If you look in the DNS forwarders, only the server shows up which means the clients are using NetBIO and the WINS server to get around.

I discovered all this today helping someone connect a Win 7 notebook. I tried everything and it will not find the domain controller to connect to. Win 7 is totally depended on DNS and as far as I can see, the DNS server is not working properly and the install was botched.

They are not using Exchange Server. Should I try to fix this (reinstall DNS server) or should I flatten it and start over? Likely there are no SBS CALs either.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: SBS 2003 DNS not working

I would start the install again. You will never be happy with a server that was setup by 2-3 different people at 2 different times.

SBS 2003 is a short and simple install, well worth just biting the bullet, backing up and reinstalling.

Also, about the licesing it best to start again, becuse if they do not have the CALS then you can be held accountable (or at lest in my country you can be). Start freash and make sure everything is 100% right.

Remember, if its worth getting out of bed for, its worth doing correctly so next time you can stay in bed :P

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
    IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Re: SBS 2003 DNS not working

Good advice Wofen. I should know better than to dig myself a hole in the ground
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk