Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventid 4016 on Windows 2K3

Hi everybody,
    I have a problem with a Win 2003 Server sometimes freezing and not returning responsive anymore, forcing me to reboot it by pushing the reset button.
    Once rebooted I find many errors 4016 in the event log.
    This server is Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP server and we also have another server with the same function. (DNS AD Integrated)
    Everything is fully patched, dcdiag and netdiag provide no errors on both servers.
    What can cause this issue?

Re: Eventid 4016 on Windows 2K3

Suggestions?

Comment

A little more detail, like whats the soruce of the error might be nice.

If its the DNS one, then you can try to delete your DNS and get it to recreate it. Could try to remove the roll and reinstall it.

But yeah, more infomation, a cut and paste of the error, how often it happens (does heaps means you get 50 of them created at the same second, or do you recieve 3-5 of them every min, or 20-30 of them every second).

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
        A little more detail, like whats the soruce of the error might be nice.

If its the DNS one, then you can try to delete your DNS and get it to recreate it. Could try to remove the roll and reinstall it.

But yeah, more infomation, a cut and paste of the error, how often it happens (does heaps means you get 50 of them created at the same second, or do you recieve 3-5 of them every min, or 20-30 of them every second).

Wofen
        Wofen, thanks for your reply.
        Some more elements:

Source error is DNS.
        The event is logged at (apparently) random times, i.e.
        • 8/10 15.53
        • 6/10 15.48
        • 15/08 9.20
        • 24/07 0.35
        • 20.07 20.40
        • 9/07 21.27
        • 25/05 2.44

Once the event is recorded on this Domain Controller, the 2nd DC is logging after a few minutes 2 Warnings (Source: NTDS Replication, Category: DS RPC Client, Event Id 1188 and 1232) stating that:

Code:
        A thread in Active Directory is waiting for the completion of a RPC made to the following domain controller. 

Domain controller:
        c2be30bd-6a44-47c3-8bca-fffd8fd9ba8f._msdcs.domain.com 
        Operation:
        get changes 
        Thread ID:
        40c 
        Timeout period (minutes):

Active Directory has attempted to cancel the call and recover this thread. 

User Action 
        If this condition continues, restart the domain controller.
        and

Code:
        Active Directory attempted to perform a remote procedure call (RPC) to the following server.  The call timed out and was cancelled. 

Server:
        c2be30bd-6a44-47c3-8bca-fffd8fd9ba8f._msdcs.domain.com 
        Call Timeout (Mins):
        Thread ID:
        40c 

Additional Data 
        Internal ID:
        Do you need some more info?
        Just in case I should delete and reinstall DNS on this DC, do you think it could be a dangerous operation?
        Is there some guide in order to perform the operation safely?

Comment

Am I Insane, that is a great post, and I thank you for the infomation. Honistly, post like this make it so much easier to help others out.

I would say that reinstalling the DNS would be your best bet, but only if you can bring down your network for alittle while.

Below are some links about this error.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830746 <-- this Points to increasing the time out limit to allow for slow network condintions.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ce=DNS&phase=1 <--- Recommends Deleteing and Clearing your Zones (back everything up first).

If that does not work, I would reinstall the DNS if you can off line your enviroment for a few hours safly.

If the above does not help, and you can not offline your servers, please post back and we will attempt to find a methiod that does not invole reinstalling DNS.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Am I Insane, that is a great post, and I thank you for the infomation. Honistly, post like this make it so much easier to help others out.

I would say that reinstalling the DNS would be your best bet, but only if you can bring down your network for alittle while.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830746 <-- this Points to increasing the time out limit to allow for slow network condintions.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ce=DNS&phase=1 <--- Recommends Deleteing and Clearing your Zones (back everything up first).

If that does not work, I would reinstall the DNS if you can off line your enviroment for a few hours safly.

If the above does not help, and you can not offline your servers, please post back and we will attempt to find a methiod that does not invole reinstalling DNS.

Wofen
            Wofen, thanks again for your help.
            Today I'm leaving for a few days holiday, once back I will try to follow above links and I'll update you about the results.

Comment

Wofen
              Ok, I think I will go with DNS reinstallation.
              I must admit that I'm a little worried.
              Will this operation cause any risks to my network?
              Remember that the server taht is suffering error 4016 is not my network's primary DNS server. In fact, the primary DNS Server is not experiencing problems at all
              What is the right list of operations to be performed? Please try to be as comprehensive as you can.

By the way, do you need some more info before attempting this operation?
              I forgot to tell you that dcdiag /testNS doesn't report any issues.

Comment

Working...
              X