Replacing First Domain Controller in Forest/Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing First Domain Controller in Forest/Domain

We are planning to replace the first 2 domains controllers that was the first dc's with 2 new servers with the same names and same IP address . We have a single forest, the primary domain hold all FSMO + DNS except of schema master and the second Server also a secondary DNS and hold the schema master , also we have 20 domain controllers. All servers are running Windows 2003 Server including the first 2 dc's

I have plan to do that. but I 'm wondering that after transferring the FSMO from the first DC to any other available DC and demoting the server then remove it from network. is it possible to take an image for this server and restore it on another new server then promote the new server to be the first DC again. I want to take an image from the old server because i don't want to do fresh installation on the new server since i have a lot of application which could take time to be configured from the beginning.

Please let me know what you think about my plan of taking the image from the old server and restore it to a new server then promote it and transfer back the FSMO again.

Best Regards,

Re: Replacing First Domain Controller in Forest/Domain

In terms of taking images for your DCs, are you planning on replacing these 2 DCs with the same hardware? I know from experience that taking a disk image from one set of hardware and slapping it into another doesn't work, at minimum you'd probably need to make changes to the Hal file, among other things.

Comment

actually the new replaced servers will not be the same hardware spec. but one time i had this problem and just run windows repair and has fixed the issue. i prefers to give it try rather than installing from scratch. but my point to check if there is any effect to use the same old image on the new server and promote the new server again to be the first DC so I will have same application, computer name and ip address. I have read somewhere about problem with SID if you use the same operating system or something like that. am I on the safe side to go with my plan?

Thanks to let me know about your feedback

Regards,

Comment

Hello My Friends,

any one want to advice about my issue, it's very urgent and i want your advice please.

Regards,

Comment

Please do NOT bump your posts. This is a community of volunteers who give up their free time to help out. If you need an urgent answer, phone Microsoft PSS (have your credit card handy) and they can help you.

Why do you require the same name? IPs can be changed after the event very easily and you will have a lot less trouble if you build new DCs without any legacy c**p on them.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by hotelcalefornia View Post
            actually the new replaced servers will not be the same hardware spec. but one time i had this problem and just run windows repair and has fixed the issue. i prefers to give it try rather than installing from scratch. but my point to check if there is any effect to use the same old image on the new server and promote the new server again to be the first DC so I will have same application, computer name and ip address. I have read somewhere about problem with SID if you use the same operating system or something like that. am I on the safe side to go with my plan?

Thanks to let me know about your feedback

Regards,
            Well, if you've tried it before and been able to fix it, then why do you need us to validate it for you?

athruntalan has already given you his feedback. I concur with this. Taking a ghost (or otheR) image of a Domain Controller, and putting it onto brand new hardware, with vastly differing specifications is asking for trouble.

So I'm not sure what you're actually asking us now - you asked about imaging, we said not a good idea, you said "well i've done it before"
            So if you've done it before, why ask?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I personally would not image a Domain Controller unless I had an identical server to place the image to... Hardware plays an important factor and even though you might of had success in the past, this time it might not be the case. In the end you could always try it and see if it works, but you might run into issues down the line, and if it's a DC I would rather avoid any issues.

Comment

Good day all,

Osian , I want to keep the same computer name and ip address because I have more than 100 computers pointing to that server as the DNS server.

tehcamel, I have explained before that I have no problem regarding the image creation/restore and the issues will encountered with the hardware compatibility.

The only thing I need to know about it that in case I took an image for the old server and restore it in the new server and joined the new server to the domain and promote it as the first DC. Am I able to get a problem with the AD. As I mentioned before that I read in some sites about some issues with the replication after restoring the a DC from image.

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

Comment

DNS is via IP only -- no name involved
                  Surely you are using DHCP, so can change the DNS servers by refreshing the network settings

Is your old server a domain member already? if so the image will have the same SID and this may cause issues. AD is very sensitive and I would hesitate to do this -- a new build DC is much preferable, but at the end of the day, its your network....
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the advices and I took the decision to rebuild the server as per your advice. But if you don't mind I still have some doubt and want to be clear for me:

First I'm not using DHCP in my network. What you meant by " Is your old server a domain member already" I was planning to use this procedure:

1-demote the first DC to a member server then remove it from the network
                    2-take an image to the demoted server and restored on the new server
                    3-connect the new server to the network and promote to a DC.

Am I going to have any problem in the SID in case I followed this procedure?

Thank you in advance,

Comment

Working...
                    X