Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find: how to - multiple websites on one IP

Hi,

I've searched almost the entire (work) day to find THE "how to: multiple websites on one IP" guide on this site (and google). I have read it once a couple of weeks ago, but cannot find it anymore in the articles. Has it been removed ? If it hasn't been removed, can some tell met where it is ? I'd rather read the article first before posting a question about my problem.

Thanx in advance.....

Re: can't find: how to - multiple websites on one IP

You need to search for host headers. That is the most common way of hosting many websites on one IP address.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi,
      First u need to create a Dns zone in DNS.
      For example create a forward lookup zone with abc.com
      create a A record and a CNAME record www.abc.com
      Then in IIS Services Manager,
      u create a website using the single IP and then for host header
      name use www.abc.com
      Fire up browser and type www.abc.com and u will get the contents
      of the home directory.
      As far as i know this is the procedure,
      Other persons can correct me.

Cheers,
      Spidey

Comment

Originally posted by spidey2005
        hi,
        First u need to create a Dns zone in DNS.
        For example create a forward lookup zone with abc.com
        create a A record and a CNAME record www.abc.com
        Then in IIS Services Manager,
        u create a website using the single IP and then for host header
        name use www.abc.com
        Fire up browser and type www.abc.com and u will get the contents
        of the home directory.
        As far as i know this is the procedure,
        Other persons can correct me.

Cheers,
        Spidey
        Thanx, I kind of figured it out already, but there was also a explanation in that document how to configure IIS. And that is what I was looking for....

Example:

I already got www.abc.com working, but now I want users to type in: http://webmail.abc.com and then get redirected to https://webmail.abc.com.

Webmail.abc.com has to be configured in IIS to get it's data from the folders where OWA is installed. I'm not entirely sure what folder that is. (E:\Program Files\Exchsrv\ExchWeb or E:\Program Files\Exchsrv\Exchange) There are a few virtual dirs in the Default Website folder eversince I installed Exchange.

So... I created another Host A record for webmail with the external IP. But now I'm kind of stuck with the IIS part.

Comment

So exchange is installed on the same server as your website ?

i.e. www.abc.com and webmail.abc.com both point to the same server\IP ?

The default exchange setup, creates the OWA site as www.abc.com\exchange. Is this not good enough for your setup ?

Even if you setup host headers you will still have to type webmail.abc.com\exchange.

An easy way around this is to bin host headers, and have a default ASP page on your webserver. The following simple code will detect the requested URL and forward appropriately.

Code:
          <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"%>
          <body>

<% 
          If Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST") = "webmail.abc.com"
          Response.Redirect ("/exchange)
          Else Response.Redirect ("default.htm")
          End If
          %>

</body>
          where default.htm is just the default page for your webserver. This seems a lot simpler to me than messing around with OWA sites etc as these are not easy to move around.

topper
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
            So exchange is installed on the same server as your website ?topper

i.e. www.abc.com and webmail.abc.com both point to the same server\IP ?
            Yes that's correct...

The default exchange setup, creates the OWA site as www.abc.com\exchange. Is this not good enough for your setup ?
            It's good enough, but I was wondering from what installation directory on my local hard drive on the exchange/web server the files are retrieved when you enter http://webmail.abc.com/exchange.

Even if you setup host headers you will still have to type webmail.abc.com\exchange.
            Ok that's clear then..

An easy way around this is to bin host headers, and have a default ASP page on your webserver.
            What does this mean ? bin host headers ?

The following simple code will detect the requested URL and forward appropriately.

Code:
            <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"%>
            <body>

<% 
            If Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST") = "webmail.abc.com"
            Response.Redirect ("/exchange)
            Else Response.Redirect ("default.htm")
            End If
            %>

</body>
            where default.htm is just the default page for your webserver. This seems a lot simpler to me than messing around with OWA sites etc as these are not easy to move around.

topper
            Ok, is the above code just a simple copy/paste into notepad and save it as index.asp and put it in the \Inetpub\wwwroot dir ?

Anyway, I will give it a try tonight. Thanx for your help. I'm an absolute n00b when it comes to html/asp/php etc etc.......

Comment

"bin hosts headers" = Forgot about them, just don't use them.

RE the code, yes just copy to a new text file and rename to index.asp or whatever, and just make sure that file is the default page for your site.

and place in inetpub\wwwroot\ (if that is your home directory)

topper
              * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

And here we learn the lesson of a) asking what you wanted in the first place (look at your first post again and see what i wrong with it) and b) giving more info int he first place.

If (a) and (b) were done you would have had your answer in the first reply i expect.
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                  And here we learn the lesson of a) asking what you wanted in the first place (look at your first post again and see what i wrong with it) and b) giving more info int he first place.

If (a) and (b) were done you would have had your answer in the first reply i expect.
                  Tonyyep, you are right, but I'm not the person who starts something without any (background) knowledge or whatsoever. Of course I could have asked immediately what I wanted, but that's no fun. Before I started with my project I read a lot of articles and searched internet to find answers, tips , solutions etc etc. I want to learn by doing things in practice and I do not want to install Exchange eg by reading and applying someone's manual or guide. This site has been a great help, but most of my configuration was already up and running before I registered here. Sometimes you just need a little help and in my first post I asked if someone could point me to the url of the How To: multiple...... but no one seems to be able to find it. That's why I posted my question later. Hope you understand my point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE
                    Tonyyep, you are right, but I'm not the person who starts something without any (background) knowledge or whatsoever. Of course I could have asked immediately what I wanted, but that's no fun. Before I started with my project I read a lot of articles and searched internet to find answers, tips , solutions etc etc. I want to learn by doing things in practice and I do not want to install Exchange eg by reading and applying someone's manual or guide. This site has been a great help, but most of my configuration was already up and running before I registered here. Sometimes you just need a little help and in my first post I asked if someone could point me to the url of the How To: multiple...... but no one seems to be able to find it. That's why I posted my question later. Hope you understand my point of view.
                    No problem MRE, but i'm sure you can understand that as long as some of us have been on this forum, we get lots of messages similar to yours all wanting help but every so often we have to inform the poster that to help you, you need to help yourself. Providing the right info in the first place and as much of it as possible will mean that this FREE help is directed to you in the best possible way.

Well done for researching your problem before hand.
                    Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                    X